Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Compassion Child is a great organization, and I think having Isabel as your sponsor child would only increase the meaning of the name for you! Plus, I bet Isabel would be thrilled to know her sponsor family has a little baby with the same name as her. It would make a great story to share with your Isabelle when she's old enough, especially if you still keep in contact with Isabel.

However, I don't know but I gather from your original post that you are not yet pregnant...so I say let the name continue to live on your list, and see--down the road--if you have a problem with it later when there is an actual baby girl to name. Apologies if I read this wrong, and you are actually pregnant with a girl!
    Current favorites: Olive, Louise/Louisa, Magdalene/Madeline, Phillipa, Talitha, Mallory, Blythe, Eliza, Mercy, Talia; Calvin, Charles, Gideon, Abram, Jude, Reuben, George, Reid, Clark, Holden.

@capturedcastle - you're right, no, I'm not a parent (not even close). I'm a fairly recent college grad, no SO in the picture, even, not to mention a baby. It probably won't be in the works for a few years still, but I'm sort of an impatient person and kind of wanted to know where I stood with Isabelle, haha. I'm starting to wonder if I'll just think of her when I think of the name, and not my own beautiful baby with her own personality, but we'll see.

@c@29 - that's true. I love the rest of my list, but honestly, none of them click like Isabelle does. If I didn't keep Isabelle, I'd probably keep all the other names on my list, too, but I'm not sure I'd have a top choice for a long time.
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd and aspiring novelist

Isabelle Aurora Grace | Caleb Elias Joseph | Arianne Eleanor Daisy | Everett Joshua Charles
    Olivia Wren Camille | Jack August Wilder | Violet Ophelia Claire | Avery Ian George

The others have given great advice and I don't particularly have any but just want to share a sort-of-similar "story". A woman I know recently had a baby and named her Samantha. This woman used to work as a domestic and in the home she worked for, the household that brought her to Canada (she's originally from Malaysia), there was a little girl named Samantha. This woman named her daughter after the girl Samantha that she cared for. (this girl is in kindergarten now if I remember correctly) I'm not sure if this woman has stayed in touch with the family she worked for though.

So anyways: have you already sponsored/decided to sponsor Isabel? (or will you potentially be sponsoring someone else) I think it's all about your own comfort level. It would be pretty hard for anyone to judge you about this (how many people would really know?).

In most situations I would find it a bit odd, but I know you've loved Isabelle so much and for so long. Maybe it's just because I feel the same about my own favourite names, but I'd make almost any exception for a name this treasured.
    ~Love names, literature, royals and horses~ <3

Favourite names:
    Girls: Azalea, Cordelia, Elizabeth, Rosalind, Portia, Felicity, Juliet, Scarlett
    Boys: Fitzwilliam, Sebastian, Percival, Prospero, Orlando, Darcy

I see your dilemma. I have been sponsoring a child through Compassion International for 8 years, and I can't imagine naming my child the same name as her because she is a unique and special person in my life and her name comes up often enough that I only associate it with her. My only advice would have been to choose another child with a different name, but I know it's too late.
    Current Favorites:
    Elizabeth Lily nn Ellie
    Mary Emmeline nn Maisie
    Sarah Evangeline nn Sadie

Nathaniel nn Nate

Thanks, ladies! The responses seem to be almost evenly split, with a slight preference for keeping Isabelle on my list. @bonfireazalea - yes, I have sponsored her, I paid the first payment last night. Honestly, I had two other little ones I was trying to decide on, if I didn't go with Isabel, but it seemed ridiculous to avoid her just because I loved her name, especially when I felt most drawn to her. I don't know, we'll see. I should get the packet thingy with photos of her, and suggestions for letter-writing, and more info about the organization (although I'm not sure how much more I could know--I wrote a 27 page paper about them my senior year of college!).

I'm afraid in the past 24 hours, Isabelle has lost a good deal of her lustre for me, which makes me sad, but I guess time will tell how I truly feel about it. If I struck Isabelle from my list, I feel like there'd be a huge gaping hole there, I don't know what I would love if it's not Isabelle! I guess we'll see with time how I feel. Maybe in the meanwhile I can look for ways to make Isabelle exciting and fresh in the meanwhile, if I really do want to keep it.
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd and aspiring novelist

Isabelle Aurora Grace | Caleb Elias Joseph | Arianne Eleanor Daisy | Everett Joshua Charles
    Olivia Wren Camille | Jack August Wilder | Violet Ophelia Claire | Avery Ian George