Names Searched Right Now:

View Poll Results: Which name do you like best?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aileen

12 12.00%
  • Cait

13 13.00%
  • Isla

40 40.00%
  • Iona

36 36.00%
  • Margaret

31 31.00%
  • Maureen

5 5.00%
  • Moira

32 32.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Also Aileen is pronounced ale - een

My vote was for Maureen. It is a bit dated, but that is why I like it. It is refreshing!
    The one person I know from Scotland is named Margaret, but Margaret is just a common name used in other countries too. The Margaret I know has a daughter named Lorna. We were friends in high school. It is from a novel, Lorna Doone. I have never read it, but I know that she has.
    There was a girl named Morven in our high school too. I don't think she was from Scotland, but that is a very Scottish name.
    Other Scottish names for girls are:
    Nessie (from the Loch Ness monster) - a nn for Agnes or Vanessa or Renesmee (just kidding) Agnes is actually Scottish.
    Ainsley
    Greer
    Marsaili
    Effemy
    Ailsa
    Vanora
    Scotia means Scotland and there is also Caledonia
    Last edited by niteowl13; July 13th, 2013 at 08:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by leahmarie512 View Post
    @kala_way: From my understanding, even though Margaret isn't originally Scottish, it's been a very popular name there (I think I read somewhere that it's even the national name, if there is such a thing) for so long that it's kind of become a Scottish name, if any of that makes sense! This is all somewhat new to me, I'm actually about 90% German myself.
    That's so interesting! My name is Margaret, and a while back, I was speaking to an older Scottish gentleman on the phone (I'm a receptionist). When I said my name was Maggie, he said, "Oh, are you Scottish?" It confused me, but now I know why.

I voted for Moira, but I also like Iona a lot. Isla is also very pretty, but it's become popular recently so it doesn't specifically say Scottish to me.
    Miriam ~ Helena ~ Estella ~ Beatrice ~ Anastasia ~ Alice ~ Marilla ~ Sarah
    Paul ~ Wesley ~ Walter ~ Edmund ~ Isaac ~ Abram ~ Gabriel

Trying for baby#1
    Avatar: Nathan Altman, Portrait of Anna Akhmatova

One of my best friends is Scottish, and she's called Mhairi (pronounced Vari), which is the vocative of Mairi. In Gaelic it's what you would have shouted at Mairi when you really needed to get her attention! I think it's a beautiful name. When we started school together teachers were constantly asking her how to pronounce her name, but that didn't last too long!

I really like Iona & Margaret! Iona Margaret would be so cute!
    Jude, blackbird.

Aleka // Audrey // Cass // Chloe // Etta // Haley // Frances // India // Margot // Marian
    Miranda // Molly // Rosi // Samantha // Stephanie