Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: "Maggie"

"Maggie"

My grandmother was named Margaret, and lately, I have really been missing her, wishing I had known her better and thinking of honouring her, Full name Margaret Ellen. I have considered the combination Lavender Ellen (But it makes perhaps unfortunate initials? L.E.Z?) and I have Pearl, Margaret's meaning, in a combo Adelaide Pearl.

What do you think of using Margaret itself? The nickname Maggie as well, they sang the Bing Crosby /John McDermott song at her funeral, and it forever sticks in my head as a reminder of my grandmother. Is Margaret too old-fashioned for a baby nowadays?
    What other nicknames work for Margaret?
    And combo suggestions that add a bit of middle name flair would be much appreciated, as I'm sure you can tell from my combos, I like a bit of whimsy stuck in there (Had considering Margaret Anne, to honour both grandmother and great-grandmother on that side of the family, but Anne feels so filler)
    Last edited by kibby; December 24th, 2014 at 01:32 PM.

Rough n Tumble
    Lachlan Alexander
    Evander 'Anders' Alcott - Thatcher William - Peregrine North - Dresden Alasdair

Pretty in Pink
    Lavender Irie
    Natalie Winter - Adelaide Pearl - Hermione Jane - Corisande Fable - Virginia Joy- Odessa Faye

Margaret does sound too old for a young child, but once she hits about 10 years old I love it! Maggie is okay and sounds younger... Maybe nn Greta?

Quote Originally Posted by kibby View Post
    My grandmother was named Margaret, and lately, I have really been missing her, wishing I had known her better and thinking of honouring her, Full name Margaret Ellen. I have considered the combination Lavender Ellen (But it makes perhaps unfortunate initials? L.E.Z?) and I have Pearl, Margaret's meaning, in a combo Adelaide Pearl.

What do you think of using Margaret itself? The nickname Maggie as well, they sang the Bing Crosby /John McDermott song at her funeral, and it forever sticks in my head as a reminder of my grandmother. Is Margaret too old-fashioned for a baby nowadays?
    What other nicknames work for Margaret?
    And combo suggestions that add a bit of middle name flair would be much appreciated, as I'm sure you can tell from my combos, I like a bit of whimsy stuck in there (Had considering Margaret Anne, to honour both grandmother and great-grandmother on that side of the family, but Anne feels so filler)
    I think Margaret would be a really refreshing choice. She's a beautiful, underrated, underused classic with a great classic sound. Margaret would be a lovely name too use and Maggie is a great nickname too. I think Margaret Anne is a very classy combo but to maybe make the name slightly fresher you could use Margaret Anna.

: )

I love the name Margaret! I don't find it too old-ladyish at all. It's classic and timeless. I also love the nickname Maggie. I can just imagine a darling little girl going by Maggie!
    Current Favorites:

Charles | Edmund | Earnest | Frederick | James | Laurence | Nathaniel | Theodore

Cecily | Emmeline | Georgiana | Isobel | Josephine | Lucy | Violet | Winifred

I really like Margaret, and I don't think it's too old fashioned.
    If you think so, maybe you can try Margo/Margot instead?
    A 15 year old girl who likes names, Matthew Gray Gubler, and writing.

Girls ; Temperance, Persephone, Elsa, Winifred, Penelope, Eleanor, Jane, Imogen, Cordelia, Maeve

Boys ; Jack, Maxwell, August, Peter, Orion, Spencer, Theodore, Henry, Sebastian, Leo