Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    It was actually a conscious pick, and less random. I personally enjoy the name (and dislike Malcolm). I enjoyed the strong meaning behind the name, but, I don't have a super in depth understanding of the name as it pertains to Judaism, so I wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing anything before we started to consider it (For example, my husband and I both really liked the name Rockwell -- however, George Rockwell was the founder of the American Nazi Party....sooooo......that doesn't work out too well...and some how we managed to overlook that gem.)

And nope, you are totally right, George works really well as a middle name to Malcolm.

Quote Originally Posted by smismar View Post
    I have never understood just putting a random name in the middle, especially something as specific as this. If you're going to call him Mac, how about something like Malcolm George? I don't think George overpowers in the middle spot.

I am definitely aware of the history behind and surrounding the name, this was me checking to make sure there were not any religious implications that I had overlooked.

Personally, I am huge fan of names with history....and would totally disagree that time has not distanced Mr. Culkin from his first name, not even with my aging mother.

Quote Originally Posted by maggiefromcanada View Post
    If I met anyone named Maccabee, I'd assume they were Jewish. The Maccabees were a Jewish rebel group that took control of Jerusalem in the 2nd century BCE. It was during this time that the celebration of Chanukah began. According to Wikipedia, some scholars consider the Maccabean revolt to be a civil war, and others a war of national liberation. It seems a bit strange to use this term if you aren't really familiar with what it means. If you use it, you should be aware that some may see it as a religious or even a political statement.

Honestly, I'd go with something with less history like Cormac, Macaulay (I think time has distanced it sufficiently from Mr Culkin), or Macon.

My husband actually goes by his middle name, and always has. He is the one who suggested using George as a first name (When we were considering George and Henry) and your concern was mine. He has said, that it was his experience that after the first day of school there was never a time where people had a hard time calling him by his name (middle). From social situations to formal situations he has says that he has never experienced any problems and that people are quick to call him Gray. As it stands now, most people who have known him for 12+ years have no idea that his name isn't actually his first name. However, I do appreciate that people have a really hard time with this concept when we are talking about it - just like they have issues with the idea that we named our first son Wesley, but only call him Wes (Why didn't you just call him Wes?). So, I am used to people thinking this is an odd practice.

Quote Originally Posted by catloverd View Post
    Not sure if it's random, the op might really love the name, but I agree with the idea of Malcolm George. If you are going to call him Mac, then just put in the first name spot. Otherwise most people will just assume he is George and his whole life he'll have to speak up and say "I go by Mac." This would just annoy me to bits!

As for the religious implication, I'm not sure how offensive it is, but it's a surname, not a first name, so personally I'm not fan unless it happens to be family name.

But that's just my opinion...

I'm not Jewish so if someone who is can chime in you should trust their opinion over mine...

In middle school they were trying to include different religions besides Christianity in our winter musical concert. I remember that a line of one of the songs was "Praise the Maccabean name who saved his land from grief and shame" so I think it has a positive connotation in Judiasm. Whether or not Jews would be offended by a non-Jewish person using it--I have no idea. Especially since you're not using it as a first, it doesn't seem particularly culturally insensitive to me.

Quote Originally Posted by shermy View Post
    I am definitely aware of the history behind and surrounding the name, this was me checking to make sure there were not any religious implications that I had overlooked.

Personally, I am huge fan of names with history....and would totally disagree that time has not distanced Mr. Culkin from his first name, not even with my aging mother.
    Ah, okay. From your initial post, I was unclear of whether you knew the story or just liked the sound of it. My apologies. If you know the history and are using it, that's totally cool. I am also a fan of names with history as well, as long as you're aware of what it means.
    Miriam ~ Helena ~ Estella ~ Beatrice ~ Anastasia ~ Alice ~ Marilla ~ Sarah
    Paul ~ Wesley ~ Walter ~ Edmund ~ Isaac ~ Abram ~ Gabriel

Trying for baby#1
    Avatar: Nathan Altman, Portrait of Anna Akhmatova