Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

How/When did you become a baby name nerd?

Hi everybody! I am new to this forum and I want to get to know a little bit about you all. I want to know how and when you gained your love for baby names! I am so happy to have found this forum to discuss all the different names out there. My family thinks my obsession with names is weird, so it's cool to know I am not the only person who has it. LOL

P.S I hope this is in the right forum. Haha!

Here is my story:

When my aunt was pregnant with her first child in 2002, she had some very....interesting names picked out. For a girl she wanted Gianna (Gee-on-uh) Marie (not a bad name, but Gianna is not our style) and Andre Antony (We didn't like Andre) My mom thought it would be fun if I made a list of names that I liked and send it to her. I was 10 at the time and I thought it would be fun too. My mom bought me a a baby name book (I think it's called The Best Baby Name book and has 30,001 names in it) and I created a HUGE list of names for my aunt. I cannot tell you how much fun I had making that list. I never knew there were so many names beyond the Jessica's, Sarah's, Jacob's and Chris's that I went to school with. Ever since then I have been fascinated by names. I love to find out their meanings, what's popular and what's going out of style.

Believe it or not, my aunt actually picked a name off my list for her first AND second kid! Luke Antony (mn after his dad) was born in May 2002 and his little sister Emma Lea (middle name after her mom) was born in May 2004. I was so shocked and happy!

Okay, that is my story on how I got into baby names. Now it's your turn!

Erin
    Not expecting, just love collecting names!

My name is Erin. I am 22 years old and I have loved baby names since I was 10.

Girl names: Juliet Grace, Madeleine Hope, Linnea Ruby, Stella Rose, Emilia Colette, Clara ?, Fiona Violet, Bridget Amelia, Lydia Charlotte Eden Elizabeth, Eliza ?, Evelyn ?

Boy names: Jonathan Rhys, Wesley Drew, Evan Robert, Joel ?, Quinn ?, Dawson Cole, Griffin Miles, Judah Nathaniel, Greyson Jeremiah, Roman Isaiah

My family thinks my name obsession is weird too. I think it actually makes my mom uncomfortable....so your not alone.

I don't remember exactly how I became a name nerd but I think it came from hating my own name. I can remember being three years old and absolutely loathing when people said my name. Its a fine name, its dated but its classic by many people's standards but I never thought I wore it well. I remember hearing people say my name and cringing, it just didn't feel like me. And then I discovered books and movies with amazingly named characters. The names were not only beautiful and special but they just fit who they were to a tee. I don't think I actually started writing down and "collecting names until about middle school but I definitely had favorite names since I was four or five. It took quite a long time for me to discover the internet and that there were actual websites you could go to to search for names and discuss them without people thinking your weird.
    Violet Gray
    Sad name-obsessed teenager and aspiring writer

Current Name Crushes: August, Avery, & Flynn: Eliza, Georgiana & Dahlia

Honestly, I myself find my name obsession to be weird. So I keep it to myself most of the time because I'm not sure how to explain it to people. It's kind of a weird thing to like, you know. You more often see people obsessed with scooters or anime then with names. After all I'm only 16 and already naming my future kids. :P

I think it first began when I was about 9 and my dad, sister, and I were talking about names and there meanings. I wondered what my name meant, so my dad showed me on babynames.com. After that I took his computer and looked up my sister's, my mom's, my friends', grandparents', aunts', uncles', and ever since then I've loved names...

It is nice to know that's I'm not the only one.

In 7th grade (in the era before the internet), my English teacher had us do a project where we had to research the history and meanings of our first, middle, and last names. All by hanging out in the library using actual BOOKS! LOL I always wonder how that kind of project would go down today with all the kre8tyv names out there.

Well, ever since getting my hands on those books, I've been interested in names. I'd sit for hours and flip through them and think about the kind of people that would go with each name.
    Mom to Sylvia Caron and Linus Roman

I think I've always been into names. I remember pleading with my parents when I was six to allow me to name my younger brother instead of making him a third. In middle school I purchased a copy of Beyond Jennifer and Jason, Madison and Montana, which I read cover to cover multiple times, made random names list and just really enjoyed. I also purchased several other naming books and really enjoyed reading them and flipping through them. I had a friend who was also really into names and we'd talk about it a lot.
    While I was dating my husband and we were talking about our future I made naming our first daughter Mary Claire a condition of me marrying him. He thought it was weird and wasn't super crazy about the name but in the next six years between then and our daughter being born I think it grew on him. His one stipulation was that we needed to name our son Patrick, which I agreed since I do like the name. We both like classic names but not necessarily the same ones so a lot of the names I really was certain I would use before we were together are now not even a possibility. Which is fine since I got my favorite name and I look forward to one day having a third so we can have a baby who wasn't named several years in advance and really talk about the name.
    Mother to: Patrick Werner (3/10) and Mary Claire (06/12)