Names Searched Right Now:
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    I don't think Vanessa is dated at all. Love the name if it wasn't already taken by my sister it would be on my list.

You chose that lovely name for a reason! Next time you are getting negative comments just think back on why you chose it and all tge things that make the name sound lovely to you!!

I also had a baby in March and really struggled choosing a name...it helps to say her name confidently and excitedly when introducing her. I noticed at first when I sounded unsure people tended to not comment, but once I got more used to it being "the one" I said it more enthusiastically people responded much more positively!

Fwiw I think Vanessa is cute! I love long flowy names like that! She can go by Van, Anna, Essie...lucky girl!!!

I'm baffled by what kind of negative reaction people could have to Vanessa Claire. To me it doesn't scream a decade out, so I don't think it's dated. It seems like a timeless name that will sound good at any age your daughter is. I would rather be Vanessa than one of many Avas or Sophias she will go to school with...

I would absolutely not change your child's name because of other people's reactions. You obviously chose it for a reason!
    Kennedi

Married to Jason (10/24/09)

Mommy to Ellison Katea (2/17/12)

Expecting Kellen James - due 3/5/14!

It just isn't really heard as much. I know it sounds familiar, apart from the Little Mermaid bit someone mentioned, and I remember the character being not necessarily perfect...?

There's Vanessa Hudgens, a Disney star who has recently faded out to the best of my knowledge; a few nude picture scandals. She's not super popular among anyone over the age of fifteen who I know, but that's not really a reason to cringe at the name. I had to google 'Vanessa' to figure out who I was thinking of.

Other Vanessas I can think of:

In Juno, the adoptive mother of the baby was named Vanessa, played by Jennifer Garner. She was a good character, a bit uptight and overwhelming, but well-played and ended up being the good guy.

A semi-recent indie film, Dear Lemon Lima. The main character is named Vanessa. But that's not too negative, just odd (it's an odd movie, especially if you live in Alaska), and pretty obscure.

The previously-mentioned Little Mermaid sub-character.

Maybe you're just running into a bunch of people who knew Vanessas and had bad experiences. At any rate, it isn't worth going through the whole process again just to make everyone around you happy. You and your husband are happy. That is the important thing here.
    I’m just trying to behave as I think a friend should behave. Granted, I haven’t had much practice.

~Elphaba Thropp, Wicked, by Gregory Maguire

Quote Originally Posted by celianne View Post
    Maybe you're just running into a bunch of people who knew Vanessas and had bad experiences. At any rate, it isn't worth going through the whole process again just to make everyone around you happy. You and your husband are happy. That is the important thing here.
    Definitely this. And, let's be honest, what's more important: your love of the name or short replies from people you don't know much? Your name choice shouldn't be loved by everyone but must be loved by you.
    Keep this beautiful name and don't worry.
    ● Olympia ● Literature Student ● Writer ● Name nerd

Constance HermioneSibyl JemimaEmmelineRamona Gwen Esme
    Emrys Basil Atlas Grover LeonardoAlgernonIgnatius Oscar