Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    I think Vanessa Claire is a pretty name. I would not change it.
    Raquel-21 year old who loves names, books, and languages

Ladies: Catherine Isabella,Helena Margaret, Clara Josephine, Amelia Juliet, Louisa Genevieve, Eva Rosalind, Rose Fiammetta, Edith Lenore, Charlotte Rosamund, Eleanora Winter
    Gentlemen: Asher Frederick, Nicholas Hugo, Henry Oliver, William Grey, Matthew Isaiah, Thomas Alaric, George Everett

If it's not dated, it's too trendy. You're never going to please everyone. In the end, only your opinion matters. Your daughter, no matter how she feels in childhood, will probably grow into her name and embrace it, like everyone does. You didn't name her Princess Firetruck Honeysuckle. Vanessa Claire sounds lovely. You absolutely should not change your child's name because GUESS WHAT. Plenty of people still won't like what you choose, because everyone has different tastes. The only opinion you can count on is your own.

I love the name Vanessa... and I would have considered it for my daughter, but I thought is was too popular! LOL! I don't think you should change it at all. It's a great name and people just need to get over it.
    Mom to Sylvia Caron and Linus Roman
    Other favorites:
    Ladies: Fiala Joan · Alma · Miriam · Claudia · Tabitha · Helena · Linnea · Vivian
    Gents: Jasper Simon · Arthur · Simon · Desmond · Theodore · Malcolm
    · Dexter · Phillip
    Guilty Pleasures: Lyric · Echo · Hero · Juno/Juniper · Lark · Wren · Zephyr · Vesper
    · Loki · Kyrie

I am totally in love with your daughter's name! It is not old or outdated or anything. I think it would be a shame to change it and then you may regret that you changed your daughter's name because of the reaction of other people, etc. No one can predict how the child will react to their name when they reach adulthood regardless of what the name is... you have to dismiss that thought unless it is a totally outlandish name which Vanessa Claire is certainly not! I think you have gifted your child with a stunning name.

I wouldn't consider Vanessa to be really dated like Jennifer, Jessica, or Ashley. It is a little dated but yeah, not bad, and I wouldn't be surprised to meet a little girl with the name. It's in the top 150 for crying out loud! If anything, I'd think Vincent would get more negative responses (they're both lovely names).

I'm not sure why you're getting such negative responses. Yes, it's an invented name but at least it's a genus of butterfly (they're gorgeous), it sounds like it's spelled, and it's not obscure. I would suggest asking what's wrong with the name the next time you have a bad reaction to it. Maybe it'll give you some insight as to why people think the way they do? Please don't change your daughter's name, it's beautiful!
    ** The opinions expressed above are not meant to be reflective of Nameberry as a whole but are my opinion and mine alone. **

Mommy to:
    Henry Nathaniel (3) and Julia Paige (1)

Current favorites:
    Bennett - Emmett - Felix - Oliver - Owen - Preston - Samuel
    Abigail - Claire - Clara - Hope - Lydia - Maude - Molly