Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Alice, Adelaide and Adelheid

Shame on me, I have just learned that Adelaide is a version of Alice. Strangely, I know they share a meaning but I couldn't guess they are derived from the same. But I still have a question: all these names have German origin but what are used in which countries?
    I suppose that Adelheid and Heidi are typically Austrian, Dutch and German, Alice - English, Alix/Alison - French, Alicia - Spahish, Alisa - Slavic and Adelaide - more international? But what versions are in Scandinavia and which do you prefer?
    Thank you for answers and replies!
    Olympia
    Russian Lit student, bookworm, and arts geek.

Serena Elowen LivEmmeline Twila AliceSibyl Jemima IrisEsme Helena Mazarine
    Nathaniel Silvius Wilde Grover Elijah St JohnOscar Ignatius Cosmo Robin Hector Barnaby

From Behind the name:

VARIANTS: Alicia, Alease, Alecia, Aleesha, Alesha, Alesia, Alise, Alisha, Alishia, Alisia, Alissa, Alisya, Allissa, Allycia, Alyce, Alycia, Alys, Alysa, Alyse, Alysha, Alysia, Alyssa, Alyssia, Elicia (English), Alix (French), Alícia (Portuguese)
    DIMINUTIVES: Alison, Lisha, Lecia (English), Alison (French)
    OTHER LANGUAGES: Kalisha, Talisha (African American), Adalheidis, Adelais (Ancient Germanic), Alícia (Catalan), Heidi (Danish), Adelheid, Aleid, Aleida, Alida (Dutch), Aliisa, Alli, Heidi (Finnish), Adelheid, Ada, Aleida, Aleit, Alida, Heida, Heidi (German), Adelaida, Aliz, Ada, Alida (Hungarian), Ailís (Irish), Alise (Latvian), Aalis (Medieval French), Heidi (Norwegian), Adelajda, Alicja, Ada (Polish), Alisa (Russian), Aileas (Scottish), Alica (Slovak), Adelaida, Alicia (Spanish), Heidi (Swedish), Alis (Welsh)
    Melissa, Mama to Oscar Leopold.
    Little Sparkler coming next July.

http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9653103

I will just comment on the names. Alice is one of my favorites! I also like Adelaide.

Alice and Adelaide are both international names.(well at least they are used here in the USA and in Europe.) I think both are lovely names! As for Adelheid, it definately has not made it in the US yet...but I kinda like it! I don't think I answered yoir question very well...My favorite of all of these is Alice!
    Boys: Maxwell, Bennett, Oliver, Elliott and Archer.

Girls: Rose, Juliet, Aria, Cora and Scarlett

Sorry for any random spellings. I'm probably on my nook!

I really like all of them honestly. Alice is a sweet and graceful name that has been gaining many admirers over the past few years. Adelaide is classic delicacy that is gaining more and more popularity everyday, as it deserves. Adelheid has two wonderful nickname possibilities of "Addie" and "Heidi", which is awesome if you happen to have any German ancestry. Any of them would be a great choice for a little girl!!!!

Hope this helps you out some!