Names Searched Right Now:
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    My taste in names tends to run from the fairly mainstream to the pretty obscure. If I like a name I'm going to like it popularity be damned.

That doesn't mean I haven't recieved the side-eye when mentioning some of my more obscure favourites.

Still, I've mellowed out a lot recently about names, there's an reason behind each and every one, it might not be to my tastes and I might think the reasoning is a bit crap, but such is life, you know? It takes all sorts etc.
    Tallulah, Persephone, Eris, Saskia, Natasha, Zhanna, Matthias, Andreas, Dean, Isaac, Jude, Christopher, Caleb, Victor, Fabian, Skyler, Dexter, Cecily, Alannah, Savannah, Hester, Britta, Xanthe, Temperence, Violetta, Anton, Anatoly, Maksym, Ilya, Raphael, Gabriel, Xanthe, Carmen, Electra, Dahlia.

Recently names were discussed on a non name board I follow. These were all horse people, and for the most part they disliked the -ayden trend as well as the Mc/Macs. However, I had to laugh because one of the members just couldn't fathom burdening a daughter with the name Hazel. And there I was, finding it hard to imagine Hazel being too much (too much what? Old lady? Word name? I have no idea!)....

I'm pretty sure non NB ppl would find my choices nerdy or offbeat. They're barely offbeat for Nameberry standards (Fiona, Dean, Truett, Lachlan, Cordelia, Willow, etc).

Echoing other posters, I am fairly used to the types of names spoken about here and even I am sometimes overwhelmed by names suggested. I find some extremely hard to wear, and reflecting too much of the parents' tastes onto their kids. They feel that just because they love an extremely obscure (as in the more obscure the better) name, their child will appreciate the attention given by that obscurity themselves. Also it feels like some parents are trying to assign a personality through the name, even though the personality will come on its own, and many times in ways that will surprise the parents.
    Anyway, that's just how I feel, and I imagine how people who aren't used to seeing unusual/not popular names might feel as well. That or they think we're all slap crazy

There are certain names on Nameberry that are considered "good" and, if you don't like them, there's something a bit wrong with you. I'm thinking...Beatrice, Cecilia, Josephine, etc. When I mention one of these names to an outsider and they don't like it, I can't help but think they're a bit of a philistine.
    I'm totally a philistine... I don't like any of those names there's nothing wrong with them and I appreciate their good qualities and would encourage another berry to choose one of them, but those are all a bit fussy for me personally. I think that's one difference between berries and non-berries: berries generally tend to be a bit more tactful when they dislike a name IMO, rather than reacting with "That's hideous and you're dooming your child forever if you name it that" to any name that isn't Sophia or Jayden.

I don't discuss names except with my mom, and even then pretty rarely, so I don't 100% know what the real world reaction to my favorites is, but I'm afraid for the day that I bring a little Mabel or Barnaby home from the hospital. My family members all chose pretty standard names for their kids - the most outlandish we have is Kora, and that's not that crazy by today's standards (my grandfather secretly told me he hates the way it's spelled, but it's mostly because he's in his 80s and can't always remember how to spell it). I'm sure they'd gush over how beautiful the name is if I told them I was naming a girl Sophia, but would probably be shocked speechless if I told them I loved Agnes for a daughter.

Also, in a hundred years it could very well be Caden and Nevaeh that are the classy names, while less tasteful parents opt for 1003lyn and Binary Transmutation Conductor.
    Binary Transmutation Conductor? Swoon! I think I just found the name for my first son
    k♥m
    mid-20s. grad student at AU.
    Leona · Vivian · Florence · Beatrix · Zelda
    August · Barnaby · Winston · Atlas · Milo

I remember when I first joined Nameberry and was surprised at the popularity here of names like Beatrice, Josephine, and Willa. I swear you can go to any random thread and find those three names listed as suggestions for consideration -- even if the person looking for suggestions has specified a very different style preference! It always boggles my mind that they are so popular. I recognize them as solid names with good taste, but I don't actually like any of them so the love they get on here is bizarre to me! But then others I love...I think Agatha is a truly gorgeous sounding name, and Aggie is such a cute nickname! And yet I know others immediately wrinkle their nose the same way I do when I hear Josephine.

The area I live in is about equally divided into the popular "vintage" names or the trendy "kree8ive" names. I don't actually know whether that would make my names seem more acceptable or less, because they are definitely weird but they're also real names with history behind them.
    I hope to be a mom one day. For now I enjoy being a name lover.

My apologies for any typos; i post from my mobile phone.

My area has very run of the mill names: Natalie, Emma, Noah and Ethan, among others. Classics (such as Elizabeth and Michael) aren't that common. There's nothing wrong with Ella and Aiden, but more unusual names raise eyebrows.
    Especially since I'm fifteen, people tend to ridicule my name choices of Cordelia and Felicity, Matteo and Evander. "You'll change your mind when you're older." When I ask why they're so bad, people say, "They'll get made fun of." I'll usually just change the subject, as it's not worth the whole song and dance on new name trends.
    Usually, now, I'll just share my more popular but not my favorite favorites, such as Isabel and Cora, Jeremiah and Julian.
    ~lucy reine~
    ~ celestine eira ~ mary simona ~ elizabeth echo "ellie" ~ eleanor maeve "lena" ~ vivienne isla ~ celia matilda "cici" ~ catherine aiko "rin" ~ elsa verity ~
    ~ jasper red ~ evander lachlan 'evan'~ kai nicholas ~ ezra link ~ avery thomas ~ michael satoshi "mischa" ~ finn jeremias ~ ezekiel hayden ~ alexander rowan "sacha" ~
    guilty pleasures
    ~ tisiphone aria ~ alecto elpis ~ miya lucida ~ addison matteo ~ corinthian tidus ~