Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

How do non-Berries view our name choices?

The thread about how non-Berries choose names got me thinking about how non-Berries would view some of the names that WE choose.

The other day I sent a link to my sister that went to a thread on here talking about some horrible, very kre8tiv baby names that the OP had seen recently, because I knew she would find them horrible as well. She did, but then to my complete surprise, she started talking about how some of the names in the OP's signature were terrible too! When I looked, some of the names weren't quite my own style, but I thought they were all good, solid names in terms of NB criteria.

So my question is, has anyone else come across situations like this? I guess I had assumed that even if someone (outside of NB) didn't like my name choices, they would still appreciate it as a good name, but maybe not??
    Last edited by leahmarie512; July 13th, 2013 at 10:17 AM.

Mama to Quentin Charles, born July 4!

Russell Theodore || ??
    Catherine Violet || Ava Kathleen

For me, as somewhat of an outsider, I find the over-the-top obscure / ancient / medieval choices often fawned over here are just as much of, if not more of a burden to bear than common tryndee names.
    Melissa, Mama to Oscar Leopold.

http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9653103

@thatkathryngirl: I definitely agree that some people will always only appreciate names that they like themselves. I'm far from the person who gets upset when other people use the names I like, seeing how one of my very favorite names is one I first heard on an adorable little girl I used to work with. I think the only fear I have is that people will start using it so much that it will become a top 10 name, but seeing as we'll probably be TTC sometime within the next year, that's probably unlikely.

Mama to Quentin Charles, born July 4!

Russell Theodore || ??
    Catherine Violet || Ava Kathleen

I think some people, even here on NB, only appreciate names they personally like. And yet, they get upset when other people use the names they like because they want them to remain obscure. Kinda silly.

Quote Originally Posted by thatkathryngirl View Post
    I think some people, even here on NB, only appreciate names they personally like.
    Well said. I think a lot of people think the names they love are the only names that are worthy of bestowing on a child. Which is fine, really, because you're entitled to your opinion. (plus, I know I'm guilty of this sometimes)

Therefore, someone obsessed with only the name Sophia might NOT like a name choice, of let's say, Cressida. I think non-berries see our choices and think the same way we do when we see their names, because we all have our own opinions on what a great name is. Which is fine.

I've had the name talk with two non-berries, and they both ended pretty differently, haha.

1. My cousin, who knows I'm on nameberry, likes the names Spencer for a girl, Alex spelled Alyx, and Nahla. When I told her my choices, she didn't exactly cringe, but she didn't exactly love every single one. But it's okay, because I found "Alyx" pretty cringe worthy, considering that her name is actually a form of "Alex", and she doesn't particularly love her own name.

2. My best friend, who was previously a lover of the name, "Boris," doesn't know I'm on nameberry, but I've had the name talk with him recently. He now loves Clementine (you don't understand how super proud I am for this upgrade from Boris), and when I told him my choices, he didn't say they were ugly, just pretty weird. Which, again, is fine, because he probably has a reason for loving Clementine (which I totally regret not asking, btw) & I have my reasons for liking my names. This one ended with us arguing if Jethro is really "that weird", but that's just how him and I are :P
    Last edited by sari; July 13th, 2013 at 11:33 AM.
    Sari, high school senior.

The enchanting little witches & wizards: Under Construction and Pending.