Names Searched Right Now:
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    I remember when I first came on Nameberry I used to look on the forums and some of the blog posts and be like "WHAT????". I'm also guilty of thinking that some of the names were a bit pretentious (now I think there's nothing wrong with a little pretentiousness every now and again ) but now I think I've opened my eyes a little and I can appreciate most names even if they're not my style.

So perhaps non-berries would come around to a name eventually.
    Livia, sixteen.

Top Names:

Tobias Rowan | August Dmitri | Finnian Beck
    Saskia Maeve | Bryony Saoirse | Aurelia Salome

Namelist

My husband thinks most of the name choices from NB I suggest to him are weird, especially unusual boys' names or "old-fashioned" girls' names. I think most people would think the same about a lot of the names we like around here, and probably rightfully so.

I agree that unusual girls' names are generally better received than unusual boys' names. Perhaps it's because there is a wider variety of popular girls' names and the trends change more often, or perhaps because we're afraid boys are going to get beaten up or made fun of for their names.
    Last edited by labelo; July 13th, 2013 at 05:29 PM.

Laura & Derek

Beatrix - Camille/a - Eleanor (Lena) - Isla - Lila - Leonie - Margot
    Arthur - Clark - Gabriel - Graham - Locke/Lachlan - Shepherd

Guilty Pleasures:
    Andromeda - Lúthien - Vesper - Zephyr

I know most people in my area would probably laugh at most of the names on this forum. People in my area tastes range from the top one hundred to the very trendy "Jaxon & Brynleigh" crowd to dated names like Ashley, Jessica and Amanda because those were the names their moms liked in High School and they didn't bother to search for new ones, to the conservative Irish Catholic families who stick with the classics. Even people in my generation are this way. No one really feels the need to really step out of the box.

The first was when I was having a conversation with my friend and somehow I mention my great grandmother's name, Josephine ( which also happens to be one of my very favorite names). When I mentioned it she giggled and commented that that was an awful name. I didn't say anything back but it kind of hurt. The next time was with the same friend and we were actually discussing names because she was telling me how much she loved her cousin Julia's name and I offered up some of my favorite names...Charlotte, Elizabeth and Georgiana and when I said Georgiana she made the worst face and just continued on with her favorite names (which I think were Angelina and Gianna, which isn't that different from Georgiana!). Anyone who knows me on here knows my love for the name Georgiana runs deep. I don't talk about names with her anymore.

My mom, who I don't think has cracked a baby name book open in her life, hates every name I mention to her. She even hates James. Seriously? James is a solid, classic name. What's wrong with James? She thinks all my choices belong on old ladies or movie characters and not real life people. Her favorite names are Kaylee and Jayden though, so I'm not surprised.

I think a lot of non name nerds try to follow the crowd and use names they've heard on a person before. Some may try to mix it up Ex: like they like they're friend's daughter Kinley's name but to be different they'll stick a "z" in their and change the ending to "Leigh" and presto, Kinzleigh! A completely different unique name! And I think that is the extent of the thought process for most people around me.
    Violet Gray
    Sad name-obsessed teenager and aspiring writer

Current Name Crushes: August, Avery, & Flynn: Eliza, Georgiana & Dahlia

@averelladavina: I think Astoria is pretty I agree, I think sometimes people assume that if they've never heard a name before, it must be way out there.

Mama to Quentin Charles, born July 4!

Russell Theodore || ??
    Catherine Violet || Ava Kathleen

@livia: I can relate, when I first found this site I thought a lot of the popular names on here were kinda crazy, but now I have come to appreciate them as beautiful in their own way

@violetgray: Good point that the style and creativity of names can depend on lot on the area/society you're from. Your theory kind of reinforces to me the point that a lot of non name nerds want a unique name for their child, but think any names that they haven't heard are way too crazy, so they choose a name that they like and change it in some way to make it unique (in their mind).

Mama to Quentin Charles, born July 4!

Russell Theodore || ??
    Catherine Violet || Ava Kathleen