Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mnmemily15 View Post
    So I think a lot of the obscure names never have an association to them, good or bad since they've never met one, and therefore they don't know how to react to it.

Does that make sense at all? haha

Yes, yes, it does make sense. My aunt is exactly the same way :P
    Sari, high school senior.

The enchanting little witches & wizards: Under Construction and Pending.

I agree about the association thing! My best guy friend is the one i bounce all my name ideas off and he adores Artemis, but hates Jethro "because it feels like a hill-billy name." And he's a history buff, so Artemis is a familiar name to him. He's also a hardcore anti-theist so biblical name Jethro isn't familiar or a desirable association.
    Whereas i chose all kinds of different names based on the vibe i get from them and Artemis and Jethro have the same 'feel' to me, so i would use them together regardless of different sources.
    I hope to be a mom one day. For now I enjoy being a name lover.

My apologies for any typos; i post from my mobile phone.

@ameliawilliams: I definitely agree that people tend to be more creative with girl names than with boy names (myself included). I've always wondered why that was, and if it's an exclusively English-speaking phenomenon, or worldwide. Btw, thanks for the thread inspiration!

@mnmemily15: It does make sense, and I agree! I think that positive or negative reactions to names are very much based on associations, for both name nerds and non. Perhaps the difference is that non-name nerd associations tend to be more limited to whether they've known anyone with the name, if there are any pop culture references to the name, or if there are any references to the name within their own interests (art, history, etc.), whereas name nerd associations are more broad, as they also include popularity ratings, name origins, sound and syllabic flow considerations, etc.
    Last edited by leahmarie512; July 13th, 2013 at 12:47 PM.

Mama to Quentin Charles, born July 4!

Russell Theodore || ??
    Catherine Violet || Ava Kathleen

I am fully prepared for some backlash on our boy's name. For the vast majority of people, their only association with the name is blue blankets. I know we'll have to defend it at least a little bit and explain more of the history behind the name and why we've chosen it (we're both science/engineering geeks).

I think people that aren't interested in names think we're a little crazy. Some probably think that naming our son Linus is akin to naming him Ja'Mykell or something like that.
    Mom to Sylvia Caron and Linus Roman

@sari: I love that there are so many references to the name Jethro in this thread :P

Mama to Quentin Charles, born July 4!

Russell Theodore || ??
    Catherine Violet || Ava Kathleen