Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    @thatkathryngirl: I definitely agree that some people will always only appreciate names that they like themselves. I'm far from the person who gets upset when other people use the names I like, seeing how one of my very favorite names is one I first heard on an adorable little girl I used to work with. I think the only fear I have is that people will start using it so much that it will become a top 10 name, but seeing as we'll probably be TTC sometime within the next year, that's probably unlikely.

Mama to Quentin Charles, born July 4!

Russell Theodore || ??
    Catherine Violet || Ava Kathleen

Quote Originally Posted by tiggerian View Post
    There are a few WTH? moments for me here on NB and i can imagine there are even more for outsiders!
    Good point!

Mama to Quentin Charles, born July 4!

Russell Theodore || ??
    Catherine Violet || Ava Kathleen

I feel like non-name nerds (including other sites aside from just NB) would react differently to our girl names than to boy names. Names like Ignatius or Theodore will probably not catch on at all where i live, but i feel like girl trends here catch on so quickly that if one person named their daughter Clementine pretty soon it'd be very popular.

I also think the type of name matters. A name like Atticus is more easily recognized...without having to be name nerds they know the source and pronunciation and i think that might make it more likely to catch on as a trend, or at the very least to not be hated.
    I hope to be a mom one day. For now I enjoy being a name lover.

My apologies for any typos; i post from my mobile phone.

I think a lot of "non name nerds" view names as associations instead of just names. So, if they had a bad experience with say Olivia they'd hate it. And if there was an adorable Olive they knew, they'd like it. For instance, my dad love love loves one of my favs, Aurelia, simply because he likes the character from Love Actually a lot. But when I told him about Colette, he had no association to compare it to so it took him a very long time to even get used to it. And, he usually just says "well when someday in the future I meet your Colette, I'll like the name because it belongs to your daughter" not just cause it's a good name.

So I think a lot of the obscure names never have an association to them, good or bad since they've never met one, and therefore they don't know how to react to it.

Does that make sense at all? haha
    My Favorites:

Colette Kristine. Alice Evanna. Gemma Elizabeth. Mabel Verity. Rosalie Grace.

Jack Jeffrey. Carson Luke. Felix James. Leo Patrick. River Justin.

can't wait to marry my love!

Quote Originally Posted by thatkathryngirl View Post
    I think some people, even here on NB, only appreciate names they personally like.
    Well said. I think a lot of people think the names they love are the only names that are worthy of bestowing on a child. Which is fine, really, because you're entitled to your opinion. (plus, I know I'm guilty of this sometimes)

Therefore, someone obsessed with only the name Sophia might NOT like a name choice, of let's say, Cressida. I think non-berries see our choices and think the same way we do when we see their names, because we all have our own opinions on what a great name is. Which is fine.

I've had the name talk with two non-berries, and they both ended pretty differently, haha.

1. My cousin, who knows I'm on nameberry, likes the names Spencer for a girl, Alex spelled Alyx, and Nahla. When I told her my choices, she didn't exactly cringe, but she didn't exactly love every single one. But it's okay, because I found "Alyx" pretty cringe worthy, considering that her name is actually a form of "Alex", and she doesn't particularly love her own name.

2. My best friend, who was previously a lover of the name, "Boris," doesn't know I'm on nameberry, but I've had the name talk with him recently. He now loves Clementine (you don't understand how super proud I am for this upgrade from Boris), and when I told him my choices, he didn't say they were ugly, just pretty weird. Which, again, is fine, because he probably has a reason for loving Clementine (which I totally regret not asking, btw) & I have my reasons for liking my names. This one ended with us arguing if Jethro is really "that weird", but that's just how him and I are :P
    Last edited by sari; July 13th, 2013 at 12:33 PM.
    Sari, high school senior.

The enchanting little witches & wizards: Under Construction and Pending.