Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

How do non-Berries view our name choices?

The thread about how non-Berries choose names got me thinking about how non-Berries would view some of the names that WE choose.

The other day I sent a link to my sister that went to a thread on here talking about some horrible, very kre8tiv baby names that the OP had seen recently, because I knew she would find them horrible as well. She did, but then to my complete surprise, she started talking about how some of the names in the OP's signature were terrible too! When I looked, some of the names weren't quite my own style, but I thought they were all good, solid names in terms of NB criteria.

So my question is, has anyone else come across situations like this? I guess I had assumed that even if someone (outside of NB) didn't like my name choices, they would still appreciate it as a good name, but maybe not??
    Last edited by leahmarie512; July 13th, 2013 at 10:17 AM.

Mama to Quentin Charles, born July 4!

Russell Theodore || ??
    Catherine Violet || Ava Kathleen

For me, as somewhat of an outsider, I find the over-the-top obscure / ancient / medieval choices often fawned over here are just as much of, if not more of a burden to bear than common tryndee names.
    Melissa, Mama to Oscar Leopold.

http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9653103

I think some people, even here on NB, only appreciate names they personally like. And yet, they get upset when other people use the names they like because they want them to remain obscure. Kinda silly.

@mei_mei: Thanks for your thoughts I think I'd have to agree with you in that I think an overly obscure name would also have difficulties, even if different ones, compared to overly common or trendy ones.

Mama to Quentin Charles, born July 4!

Russell Theodore || ??
    Catherine Violet || Ava Kathleen

I know that my friends think the name I like are very speciel - no doubt my name taste has been heavily influenced after joining NB and reflects this, but generally I seem to just like the more obscure names and shun the more popular choices (although I do appreciate a lot of them and think a lot of them are wonderful name choices).

There are a few WTH? moments for me here on NB and i can imagine there are even more for outsiders!