Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mabley

Mabley

Does anybody know anything about this name in terms of history or meaning?
    "Names, once they are in common use, quickly become mere sounds, their etymology being buried, like so many of the earth's marvels, beneath the dust of habit." - Salman Rushdie

Boy Combinations: Archer Solomon James, Ronan Charles Bennett, Everett Hawthorn Thomas
    Girl Combinations: Phoebe Marietta Pearl, Clara Daphne Eloise
    Other Favorites: Eliza (Eliza Wren), Juliet, Rosanna, Thea, Johanna, Jude

I'm not familiar with this name (is it made up?). It's possible it's a variation of Mabel, which is a diminutive of Amabel, a very Victorian name. There are also Gaelic and Scottish variations that I know of.
    Mabley may also be a last name, in which case I'd check out some genealogy websites and do some digging.

Yes, it is a surname, I think English, or maybe Irish Gaelic?

I did see some mention of a relation to Amabel, I'm just not sure...
    "Names, once they are in common use, quickly become mere sounds, their etymology being buried, like so many of the earth's marvels, beneath the dust of habit." - Salman Rushdie

Boy Combinations: Archer Solomon James, Ronan Charles Bennett, Everett Hawthorn Thomas
    Girl Combinations: Phoebe Marietta Pearl, Clara Daphne Eloise
    Other Favorites: Eliza (Eliza Wren), Juliet, Rosanna, Thea, Johanna, Jude

Is the little girl in the help Mabley? I'd suggest a pet form of Mabel but I don't know for sure

If you google Mabley you get Moms Mabley, an coloured entertainer who influenced the likes of Whoppie Goldberg, so maybe it's used in honor of her? See Wikipedia http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moms_Mabley