Names Searched Right Now:

Threaded View

How did you decide what career to pursue?

You all seem like a wise bunch of ladies, so that's why I'm posting this here. I hope you all will be able to give me some advice and inspiration.

When I was young, my ultimate goal was to be an elementary school teacher. All the members of my mom's immediate family have degrees in education, plus my father. So, it's what I grew up around. There's always been a deep-down desire to pursue a degree in education. However, my parents weren't totally supportive of it, and encouraged me, starting around middle school age, to look into other options for careers.

So, that's what I did. I eventually stumbled upon pediatric nutrition, or even just nutrition in general. I told my parents about this field, and they thought it was great and began telling their friends [when they would ask] that I was planning to go into pediatric nutrition. However, in the past year or so, the desire to become a teacher has come upon again, even stronger this time. When I was researching nutrition, I decided that I could live with it. (This mostly came about when I had to go on a very strict diet of no gluten, dairy or sugar.) I certainly wouldn't be as happy doing that as if I was teaching.

I love working with children. I work with children at our church 2 times a week, and it's what I can imagine doing for the rest of my life (or at least until I start a family of my own). A few months ago, I told my mom that I was serious about becoming a teacher. She was actually pretty supportive of it this time around and has been looking into school and class options with me. Apparently, she told my dad. He hasn't said much about it to me and keeps bringing up nutrition to me. My dad's a stubborn man, so I can't tell whether he's joking and is actually supportive of my goal, or if he's trying to push me in another direction.

This year of high school is ultimately when I have to decide what field I'm going into so I can start looking into schools and scholarships. I'm honestly torn between doing what I love [elementary education] and doing something I'm okay with to please my family, especially my father.

So, my question is this: When you chose the career you went into, did you do it because it would make you happy? Did you choose it to please others? Or was it a combination of both?

Thank you in advance, and kudos to you if you read through all that! It was good to get this off my chest.