Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Anyone who has supplemented with formula, need advice

My daughter became dehydrated after coming home from the hospital due to my milk no coming in. We began supplementing with formula.

Now, 5 weeks later, I'm finally producing enough milk for her. She's taken small amount of formula (just .5 oz at feelings, or one 2 oz formula feeding a day) for a few days.

Today and yesterday she didn't need formula. This has come along with an extreme increase in fussiness. I don't know if it's her age, or a sort of "withdrawal" from formula. She nurses beautifully at most feedings, but once or twice a day, she'll give hunger cues, refuse to nurse, become incredibly upset, but take a bottle. It doesn't seem like nipple confusion, since she nurses so well the rest of the time. I haven't been able to try supplementing with pumped milk in these instances, so don't know if that would help.

Has anyone experienced this? Any tips for switching from a mix of formula and breast to exclusively breastfeeding?
    Lillian Elizabeth 6.16.13

I haven't had my baby yet but if she seems to latch ok but then doesn't want it, it could be the taste of your milk, so maybe something you are eating she doesn't like?

I did this with my 1st daughter. I supplemented with formula at first and then made the switch to nursing exclusively. Five to six weeks is pretty standard time for a big growth spurt and the cluster feeding and fussiness that goes along with this. This could explain the fussiness and have nothing to do with weaning her off the formula. Usually my kids would get a bit fussier in the later afternoons and early evenings and feeding them wasn't as easy as it usually was at different times of day.

@jmo, it could be...but it's been every night since we're trying to do exclusively breastmilk, and she's never had a problem with it before. My diet also hasn't changed a lot since she's come home. I do eat different foods, but I can't think of anything that would really alter the taste.

@tristan - that's what I've read/heard, and that's what I thought it was, but I started to doubt it after she took a bottle last night after refusing the nurse. I think it's just normal fussiness.
    Lillian Elizabeth 6.16.13

I supplemented with formula in the beginning, but never warmed it. I used the ready to serve bottles similar to what they used in the hospital (NYC, USA). They're ready mixed & you pop a nipple on and they're ready to serve. I think that not warming them made them a bit less inviting which encouraged her to nurse. It also made the bottle feeding process a lot simpler for myself or whoever was caring for the baby.

Basically, the bottle is fast-flow which is appealing to hungry babies, I figured if it's nice & warm and cozy too she would never go for the boob!