Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by ftmdad View Post
    yeah they stopped for for a while because my sister in law had breast cancer. yeah teenage parenting has always ran in our families.
    I thought your brother was the only one in your family who could have biological children.
    TTC #1

Alice - Beatrix - Clara - Daphne - Flora - Harriet - Mabel - Susannah

Arthur - Barnaby - Edward - Frederick - Henry - Rupert - Theodore - Walter

I cant imagine having a three or four month old with a puppy too. I have a fila or a brazilian mastiff and a shepard mix both where grown when I had my first though at 2 and 4 years old. My fila is xlarge and he is great with my kids. Like I said though he was 2 and had my sole attention that whole time and had months to get used to the idea of a baby as I used blankets car seats and dolls to getvhim used to the sounds and sights. Honestly if you really want a dog I would get one that needs less attention to train a beagle or boston terrier or a puggle or even a poodle they are smaller in size and great for families.

I'd advise against getting a puppy while expecting a new baby. In particular, pits are puppies for a few years, and even well trained ones will get excited and knock a baby over (I'd say the same about labs, and any dog that has a long puppy-hood/high energy level). Personally, I'd wait until you're either taking a 3-4 year break between kids, or until your youngest is 3-4 before you get a puppy. Pits are great with young families though, provided that they don't have fighting bloodlines and are raised with children underfoot. I'd recommend having "strange" kids visit often, so that they don't become overly protective of their family. Some breeds are just more prone to that, and pits are one of them (as is my border collie mix). I've heard that Danes are amazing with kids, too.
    Tara, proud mama to a Honey Badger
    ... and a Badger in Training

There is nothing wrong with getting either breed as long as you are aware of the breeds specific needs and are willing to fill those needs despite having a new baby on the way! (aka you will be a very busy guy!) Pit Bulls are amazing/wonderful/intelligent but incredibly misunderstood dogs often portrayed by the media to be "killers." The truth is they are no different then any other dog. They tend to draw in the wrong crowd due to their bad rap, so those dogs obviously develop issues. Pit bulls are very high energy/intelligent dogs, meaning you should do puppy classes and ensure it has plenty of exercise EVERYDAY! Begin basic training young and always maintain a consistent routine. Great danes are medium energy dogs and the biggest worry for them is their sheer size. training them not to lean on things is a big one as well as always avoiding over-stimulation (aka bull-in-china shop mode). These dogs were originally bred to be a menacing looking guard dog, and as such can be very stubborn. Due to their size, again, start training early! You want both these breeds, especially the pit to be ambassadors for their breeds as they really cant afford more of a bad name then they already have. Another thing to consider is the price in owning both these breeds, on top of having a new baby. first 3 sets of vaccines, done at 6,9, and 12 weeks average approx 150$ each visit, and then there is that spay/neuter which for your pit should happen at 6 months, and your great dane at 1 year (large breeds take longer to mature physically). spay is usually more as it is an invasive procedure. expect to pay between 250-600$ for this. Pits are prone to allergies/cardiomyopathy where as great danes are prone to hip dysplasia/bloat/ joint issues, all of which can be pricey to treat and are long term issues. Also it is always good to wait a minimum of 1 year between getting puppies. this way, they bond to you instead of each other, making them more dependable/ obedient dogs. After you have considered all of these things and have a plan of action, do what ya gotta do! its just important to remember that pets are living beings too who look to you for their entire life. If you arent absolutely ready, dont do it. A pitbull in a shelter is an almost guaranteed death wish. Im also going to recommend one other breed to you. Since you like pitties, look up the "Staffordshire Bull Terrier." These are essentially mini pitbulls that end up being about the same size as a beagle. May be a better option for a young baby. Still high energy, big enough for it to be a "real dog" and withstand baby poking and prodding, but also not overbearing.