Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by liliqin View Post
    tfzolghadr, you are so professional! You said what I want to know. Actually as to the middle name, we have three choices: Seven, Quinn, and with no middle name. We can not choose the last name. Li is pronounced like Lee in Chinese. It sounds that Quinn does not work well Li, for example Juliana Quinn Li, how do you think?

You are right that phoenix is a typical symbol in Chinese culture. But name after phoenix is a bit "old style" in China today. Actually we ever considered Aurora as first name, but it is not that easy to pronounce for Chinese, even like us who leant English for more than ten years.
    LOL. I have given literally hundreds of English names. I'm glad if it helped. Quinn Li I think would be ok, although they're a bit choppy together. Indeed, Phoenix is old in Chinese... but it's quite new in English (almost as modern feeling as Seven). Unfortunately, most of the popular names in English for girls right now are longer and flowier... making it a bit more difficult to choose one that is easily pronounced and remembered in China. You can also Google the Social Security Administration's list of top baby names for 2012. They come up with a list of the top names in the US for each year. Generally, the top 10 is quite common. Once you hit about 300, they are not very common. From there, it's all about preference... Although I would suggest that after you choose one, make sure you ask a native speaker. After all, a name can communicate a lot about a person... you want to make sure you're communicating a good thing.

Sorry, just saw that your surname is Qin... 秦? While I would say that a 1 syllable name doesn't flow the best with Li (李?), few people actually know your middle name in English. In fact, probably only 10 people know mine. While you will sometimes list it on forms, many forms simply ask for a middle initial (like 'Anne' becomes A.). It's quite common to use the middle name spot to honour family members, or heritage. Many of my Chinese-American friends have used the middle name spot for the Chinese name (i.e. Juliana Bing Bing Li), but I think using Qin as a mn without Anglicizing it (turning it into Quinn) would be very meaningful. After all, few people will know this name, and you don't need to worry about them being able to pronounce it. Generally, a meaningful middle name is better than one that just 'sounds good'... and it's a great way to link her to your family.
    Last edited by tfzolghadr; July 13th, 2013 at 06:00 AM. Reason: Saw additional information
    Emiliana Pari (or Valentina Hasti?) Debuts July 2014
    Soren Pasha, Caspian Bardia
    Camellia Seraphine, Jessamine Ara

I'd have to disagree with some others and say that I think Seven is a great middle name choice as it honors your daughter's heritage, especially when you are giving an English first name. I know you said that Quinn would be honoring your maiden name, but I would choose just Qin over Quinn.

As for more unique, but still classic, names:
    Margot Seven Li (a shorter form of Margaret)
    Rosalind Seven Li (nickname Rose or Rosie)
    Eleanor Seven Li (nickname Ellie)

Expecting #1 in June!

Boy: Quentin Charles or Reid ??
    Girl: Catherine Violet or ??
    Beta fish: Blodwyn

First; Quinn is an Irish name, so I suggest you use Qin. I like both Seven and Qin as a middle name, and whichever you use I'm sure your daughter will appreciate the tie to her culture. Here are some classic names that aren't too popular:

Anna
    Clara
    Elise
    Eliza
    Eve
    Grace
    Una
    Valerie
    Vera
    Last edited by chrisco; July 13th, 2013 at 02:03 PM.
    Damian Bosco-Raphael Anthony-Charles Dominic-Jude Vianney-Samuel Piers

Genevieve Naiara-Lidia Christiana-Isabeau Maria-Juliet Louisiana

Tatiana-Naomi-Boheme-India-Saoirse-Ruadan-Edmund-Gideon-Luke-Declan

Thank you, leahmarie512. I like Seven as middle name although I finally changed mind to go with Qin because Qin is maybe more meaningful.

tfzolghadr, you are right that Qin is 秦 in Chinese. It is always pronounced as /kwin/ here by my friends and colleagues so I considered using Quinn. Now I choose Qin. You persuaded me.

I am keeping to seek a first name. Actually I like Juliana, as well as other wonderful names those were suggested. However all those name seems same to me. I can not find a special reason to choose one but not others. I can only tell some names "sounds" better with Qin Li but others not. Obviously that is not enough. Do you understand me? I guess yes. Right? Thank you for any else opinions.

What do you think of
    Lara Qin Li/Lara Seven Li
    Tara Qin Li/Lara Seven Li
    Mira Qin Li/Mira Seven Li
    Alanna Qin Li/Alanna Seven Li
    Miriam Qin Li/Miriam Seven Li