Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    They either a) buy a baby name book, b) use a name that they have heard (someone they've met or a name from a book or movie) or c) use a family name. They probably do not realize that the name they are choosing is popular and they certainly wouldn't think it was boring. Most people have no clue what the name trends are. My husband likes names from the 80s and 90s cuz those are the names he knows.
    My local radio station posted the blogs about the top berry names for girls and boys and thought they were the most popular names that were being used not searched!
    I am a "name-nerd" because I have an unusual name and I used to check out the baby name books from the library when I was younger over and over and I started making lists. I wonder if the librarian thought I was going to be a teen mom... When the internet came I realized that there were other people like me out there. I always thought I was the only one!
    Most people just don't care to spend hours reading blogs and making name combos. Most people don't even care about flow. They just go with what they like. In a way I think it must be nice since I have no clue how I will ever decide. I am not good at making decisions, especially on one name combo. There are too many wonderful names that I love.
    Anyway, we shouldn't judge these people too harshly. Unless they are celebrities and name their daughter North West or their son Pilot Inspektor. Honestly, they are just awful!

My SIL picked Aiden for her son because it was a Saint's name, Irish and she liked how it sounded. She didn't realize it was so popular (he was born in 2008) though until after he was born and it's only continued to get more popular.
    I think she thinks a lot about how it sounds with little concern for popularity. She loved the name Emma for a girl.
    My husband either likes a name or he doesn't. Sometimes it's because he know somebody with the name (we can't do Margaret since he went to school with a mean little girl named Margaret). But most of the time I'm not sure if there is a real reason why he dislikes a name or not. Just how he feels about it.
    Mother to: Patrick Werner (3/10) and Mary Claire (06/12)

Quote Originally Posted by maggiefromcanada View Post
    Car afficionados must think I'm the most boring person in the planet because I drive a gray Corolla, but it's just not a big deal to me. Likewise, a name nerd might scoff at Jacob, but his mom may say she picked her favourite name and would do it again, despite the popularity. As long as they don't do something truly horrible and name their kid Hitler or Stupid, it's none of my business.
    This is a great way of looking at it. My nephew is Matthew and my niece is Katherine. My sister chose them (and the equally common middles) for family. I know she tossed around a few more names that were a little less common, but in the end, those are what she chose. Would I have chosen names that common? Obviously not. But I don't fault her for them. They are good names and I'd rather meet little Matts, Jacobs, & Michaels and Katies, Sophias, & Elizabeths than Jayssens and Maddesyns.
    Mom to Sylvia Caron and Linus Roman
    Other favorites:
    Ladies: Fiala Joan · Alma · Miriam · Claudia · Tabitha · Helena · Linnea · Vivian
    Gents: Jasper Simon · Arthur · Simon · Desmond · Theodore · Malcolm
    · Dexter · Phillip
    Guilty Pleasures: Lyric · Echo · Hero · Juno/Juniper · Lark · Wren · Zephyr · Vesper
    · Loki · Kyrie

I think most people choose names the same way we do, except most people don't a) research their favorite names, b) post extensively on baby name forums, c) scour every possible source for new options, or d) know the first thing about name popularity or naming trends.
    ♂ | Samuel ◊ Edward ◊ George ◊ Arthur ◊ Ezra ◊ Gideon ◊ James ◊ Quentin ◊ Solomon ◊ Jasper
    ♀ | Helen ◊ Cora ◊ Anne ◊ Jane ◊ Caroline ◊ Catherine ◊ Gwen ◊ Georgia ◊ Elizabeth ◊ Lydia

Well, I have discussed this with multiple friends (all non-mother-teenaged-girls), and it really comes down to:

You know, I think Codi and Austyn would be cute on girls. And Doon for a boy.

One of my friends' cousins is named Navim, that's a pretty cool name.

I've always thought Victoria was an awesome name. And Xavier.

My children WILL be named God and Megatron. Because who doesn't want to be friends with God? And... I mean... MEGATRON.

And I'm just like, cool beans. I am in full support of #4 there. And #2, that IS a cool name. Of course, if I attempt to have more conversation about it, they get bored/confused/annoyed and tell me I'm overthinking things. And I'm like NO. You are UNDERTHINKING things.

I mean, asking the internet changes the scope and number of names, but not really the process. So it's probably the same as it is here, with less input and fewer names.
    I'm not feeling incredibly profound at the moment. Check back later.