Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    My SIL picked Aiden for her son because it was a Saint's name, Irish and she liked how it sounded. She didn't realize it was so popular (he was born in 2008) though until after he was born and it's only continued to get more popular.
    I think she thinks a lot about how it sounds with little concern for popularity. She loved the name Emma for a girl.
    My husband either likes a name or he doesn't. Sometimes it's because he know somebody with the name (we can't do Margaret since he went to school with a mean little girl named Margaret). But most of the time I'm not sure if there is a real reason why he dislikes a name or not. Just how he feels about it.
    Mother to: Patrick Werner (3/10) and Mary Claire (06/12)

Quote Originally Posted by maggiefromcanada View Post
    Car afficionados must think I'm the most boring person in the planet because I drive a gray Corolla, but it's just not a big deal to me. Likewise, a name nerd might scoff at Jacob, but his mom may say she picked her favourite name and would do it again, despite the popularity. As long as they don't do something truly horrible and name their kid Hitler or Stupid, it's none of my business.
    This is a great way of looking at it. My nephew is Matthew and my niece is Katherine. My sister chose them (and the equally common middles) for family. I know she tossed around a few more names that were a little less common, but in the end, those are what she chose. Would I have chosen names that common? Obviously not. But I don't fault her for them. They are good names and I'd rather meet little Matts, Jacobs, & Michaels and Katies, Sophias, & Elizabeths than Jayssens and Maddesyns.
    Mom to Sylvia Caron and Linus Roman

I think most people choose names the same way we do, except most people don't a) research their favorite names, b) post extensively on baby name forums, c) scour every possible source for new options, or d) know the first thing about name popularity or naming trends.
    Emily • Nineteen • United States
    History student, name nerd, and general geek.
    ♂ | Samuel Edward George Arthur Ezra Gideon James
    ♀ | Jane Helen Anne Cora Phoebe Gwen Caroline

Well, I have discussed this with multiple friends (all non-mother-teenaged-girls), and it really comes down to:

You know, I think Codi and Austyn would be cute on girls. And Doon for a boy.

One of my friends' cousins is named Navim, that's a pretty cool name.

I've always thought Victoria was an awesome name. And Xavier.

My children WILL be named God and Megatron. Because who doesn't want to be friends with God? And... I mean... MEGATRON.

And I'm just like, cool beans. I am in full support of #4 there. And #2, that IS a cool name. Of course, if I attempt to have more conversation about it, they get bored/confused/annoyed and tell me I'm overthinking things. And I'm like NO. You are UNDERTHINKING things.

I mean, asking the internet changes the scope and number of names, but not really the process. So it's probably the same as it is here, with less input and fewer names.
    I'm not feeling incredibly profound at the moment. Check back later.

Wow, some of you are sensitive! I wasn't meaning to diss popular names at all...I just said the same names over and over again are boring, not that it's a crime or that the names are hideous or people who like them are bad namers or that there can't be some sort of meaning behind it. If you read all of that in my original post, I'm sorry; I re-read it and I don't feel like anything I said had any malice behind it.

I'm more interested in discussing what sort of tools a non-Berry would use to gauge the popularity or trendiness or likeability amongst peers of any given name. Perhaps I should have worded that more clearly.
    I hope to be a mom one day. For now I enjoy being a name lover.

My apologies for any typos; i post from my mobile phone.