Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Maccabee - too religious?

Neither my husband nor I grew up in households that were religious, and while the name doesn't immediately set off any alarm bells, I was hoping to get some input on the name Maccabee as far as religious implications go. Are there any? Is it too religious to use for a child who will not grow up with religion?

It would be used as a middle name - George Maccabee Sh_____ (two syllables), with his daily name being Mac (George is a family name, and it seems like it tends to overpower other names so, we have always assumed George would be a first name, and we would use our son's middle name as his "common name", which I know isn't always a popular concept, but that is how we will roll for this dude most likely).

I have never understood just putting a random name in the middle, especially something as specific as this. If you're going to call him Mac, how about something like Malcolm George? I don't think George overpowers in the middle spot.
    Mom to Sylvia Caron and Linus Roman

Quote Originally Posted by smismar View Post
    I have never understood just putting a random name in the middle, especially something as specific as this. If you're going to call him Mac, how about something like Malcolm George? I don't think George overpowers in the middle spot.
    Not sure if it's random, the op might really love the name, but I agree with the idea of Malcolm George. If you are going to call him Mac, then just put in the first name spot. Otherwise most people will just assume he is George and his whole life he'll have to speak up and say "I go by Mac." This would just annoy me to bits!

As for the religious implication, I'm not sure how offensive it is, but it's a surname, not a first name, so personally I'm not fan unless it happens to be family name.

But that's just my opinion...
    Our Cats:
    Calcifer & Mittzy

Our Dog:
    Lexie

Favorite Names
    Elsa ~ Flora ~ Luna ~ Euphemia ~ Caroline ~ Artemis
    Ezra ~ Severus ~ Llewellyn ~ Rory ~ Liam ~ Preston

Author Site | Tumblr | Blog | Free Printables

From what I've read Maccabee was originally a surname meaning 'the hammer', and the religious associations are largely positive and rather ancient, so I doubt you'd offend anybody. I think it's great to revisit historical themes.

If I met anyone named Maccabee, I'd assume they were Jewish. The Maccabees were a Jewish rebel group that took control of Jerusalem in the 2nd century BCE. It was during this time that the celebration of Chanukah began. According to Wikipedia, some scholars consider the Maccabean revolt to be a civil war, and others a war of national liberation. It seems a bit strange to use this term if you aren't really familiar with what it means. If you use it, you should be aware that some may see it as a religious or even a political statement.

Honestly, I'd go with something with less history like Cormac, Macaulay (I think time has distanced it sufficiently from Mr Culkin), or Macon.
    Miriam ~ Helena ~ Estella ~ Beatrice ~ Anastasia ~ Alice ~ Marilla ~ Sarah
    Paul ~ Wesley ~ Walter ~ Edmund ~ Isaac ~ Abram ~ Gabriel

Trying for baby#1
    Avatar: Nathan Altman, Portrait of Anna Akhmatova