Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Anyone other lovers of this name out there?

Sumner!

I've been crushing on it for a while now, and I think I'm interested in some opinions. I have a feeling most Berries won't like it (too close to the feminine Summer, and also probably too surnamey...), but I've decided to ask anyway.

I like its connection to Charles Sumner (a Massachusetts senator who fought very vocally for the abolition of slavery--who some might find a bit of a zealot, but I really appreciate what he stood for, and I want my children to stand up for what they believe in, which Sumner obviously did), and it has a very cool southern sort of vibe to me that I love. Is Sumter any better? I don't like it as much, but I figured it would be less Summer-like. Then again, Sumter might be more strongly connected to the Battle of Ft. Sumter, which gets into the whole violence and honoring it sort of thing that can be very controversial. I'm not sure I'm ready to add it to my list, but it has the same sort of vibe that I really love in a name, so I'm giving it a chance. (I particularly love it with Everett and Jack!) Even if you're not fond of it personally, do you think it's a bad name? Or is it just something you're not fond of? I feel like I'm missing a really terrible association with it...

ATM, I'm really loving Sumner Eli, but I'm not sure I'd stick with it. I don't have the highest opinion of the Biblical Eli (a glutton and a terrible parent, although it does seem like he didn't do too badly by Samuel...), but I do really like the pairing. What would you pair with Sumner?

Thanks, ladies!
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd and aspiring novelist

Isabelle + Arianne + Olivia + Violet + Charlotte + Emmeline + Grace + Eleni
    Caleb + Everett + Jack + Avery + Samuel + Caspar + Grant + Rory

I grew up with a Sumner (he'd be early twenties right now) and so for me the name is very tied to one individual. That being said I actually really like the surnamey aspect of it, and could definitely see it as a preppy little southern gentleman.

I definitely prefer Sumner to Sumter, because while the Sumner connection is fleeting and probably wouldn't be widely recognized the Sumter connection would and is more controversial in my opinion.

I really love Sumner! I'm bias though because I like surnamey names but I think it could definitely work. I might like it slightly more in the middle name spot though.
    Proud mommy to Miller Grey & Bennett Reed

Expecting baby boy #3 to be named Declan Jack

Sumner used to be on my list, but fell off. I recently started liking it again and it is on my back up list. I like that it is unique, but has a classy feel.
    mom to Mckinley Mayfair, Christian Wayne & Sir Angus Fionn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    fave girls
    fave boys
    fave combos
    just for fun combos

I LOVE Sumner! I do think it could often be misread as the name Summer for a boy, and I have seen it as a surname both in books, and on television shows. But I think it is so cute, oldish, and handsom. good luck