Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Is Caroline too close to sisters Clare and Katharine

So we finally have the green light to TTC again. My kids are Paul, Clare, Mark, Katharine, and James. If we have a boy we'll name him Andrew. For girls we both really like Caroline but are a bit concerned that it's too close to Clare. Obviously it's a bit nice that no one shares initials now. If we eliminate Caroline we really don't have another mutual favorite. Dh typically favors shorter names like Tess, Nell, and Lucy; he generally isn't enthusiastic about the longer forms of those names. (We ended up with a Katharine because it's my mom's name). Of the names I favor dh is willing to go along with Grace or Sarah but isn't enthusiastic. I love that Caroline is longer and balances out Katharine's name.
    [B]Mom to Paul, Clare, Mark, Katharine, James, and Andrew[B]
    Current favs: Mary & Thomas
    Hubby's favs: Lucy and Peter

I don't think it's too close. Clare and Katharine already share the [k] sound and Caroline doesn't rhyme with any of them, which I think would be the main problem with sibling names. Caroline is lovely, it works great with your sibsets and has plenty of nickname potential to avoid any confusions.

I too prefer sibsets where initials are balanced but I dont think it's a deal-breaker.

More ideas:
    Mary
    Cecily
    Clementine
    Emmeline
    Louisa
    Seraphina (Sera)
    Genevieve
    Beatrice
    Margaret
    Sophia
    Charlotte
    Rose
    Agnes
    Constance
    Bridget
    Joan
    Audrey
    Frances
    Emily
    Magdalen
    Elizabeth
    Alice
    Maud
    Amelia
    Susanna
    Honor

Longer forms of Nell that work in your sibset - Eleanor, Helena, Helen, Penelope, Annabel.
    Tess —*Theresa, Therese
    LucyLucretia, Lucienne... I don't think any of the long forms work in your classic, English, non-frilly sibset.
    Arabella, Thibault, Sophia, Alfred, Eleanor, Rémi, Charlotte, Achille, Olivia, Clement, Elizabeth, Frederick, Maud, Benedict, Adèle.

Quote Originally Posted by sugarplumfairy View Post
    I don't think it's too close. Clare and Katharine already share the [k] sound and Caroline doesn't rhyme with any of them, which I think would be the main problem with sibling names. Caroline is lovely, it works great with your sibsets and has plenty of nickname potential to avoid any confusions.

I too prefer sibsets where initials are balanced but I dont think it's a deal-breaker.

More ideas:
    Mary
    Cecily
    Clementine
    Emmeline
    Louisa
    Seraphina (Sera)
    Genevieve
    Beatrice
    Margaret
    Sophia
    Charlotte
    Rose
    Agnes
    Constance
    Bridget
    Joan
    Audrey
    Frances
    Emily
    Magdalen
    Elizabeth
    Alice
    Maud
    Amelia
    Susanna
    Honor

Longer forms of Nell that work in your sibset - Eleanor, Helena, Helen, Penelope, Annabel.
    Tess —*Theresa, Therese
    LucyLucretia, Lucienne... I don't think any of the long forms work in your classic, English, non-frilly sibset.
    Thanks for your reply. I'd absolutely love to use Mary but for me visually it's too close to Mark. Once Mark's name was even put in the school concert brochure as Mary. Hubby doesn't really like it anyway. Theresa is another long time favorite and dh has ruled it out because of the alliteration with our last name but I'm thinking he just doesn't love it like I do. We have thrown around Elizabeth, Alice, and Emily before.

EDA: I just emailed my hubby a bunch of these and got all no votes...ugh
    Last edited by lo; July 11th, 2013 at 04:55 PM.
    [B]Mom to Paul, Clare, Mark, Katharine, James, and Andrew[B]
    Current favs: Mary & Thomas
    Hubby's favs: Lucy and Peter

What about using Mary as a double name? You solve the initial problem & the similarity to Mark.

Mary-Caroline would be gorgeous.
    Arabella, Thibault, Sophia, Alfred, Eleanor, Rémi, Charlotte, Achille, Olivia, Clement, Elizabeth, Frederick, Maud, Benedict, Adèle.

Hey!
    If you love it-use it. Nothing worse than name regret.
    Other suggestions that are similar in style:
    Anna
    Louise
    Lauren
    Natalie
    Gemma
    Louisa
    Eliza
    Fiona
    Elise
    current favorite names:

Hugo/Zac/Eero/Reeve/Rafferty/Evander/Otto/Ralph/Otis/Rupert