Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I don't think Caroline is too close to Clare. I have a daughter named Claire and considered Caroline, but my husband didn't love it. Clare sounds different in the beginning due to the consonant cluster and is only one syllable compared to Caroline's three. I'd say go for it!

I think it fits great with Katherine and Claire but it is a bit close. Other names you may like are

Savannah
    Evelyn
    Julia / Juliana/ Julianna
    Stella
    Mallory
    Laura/ Laurel
    Audrey
    Bridget
    Annabelle
    Madeline / Madelyn/ Madeleine
    Bethany
    Olivia
    Emily

Are you pronouncing Caroline rhyming with mine or fine? If so, I think it's close in a sweet way, but not problematic. If you're pronouncing it more like Carolyn, then it feels a little too close to Katharine.

Also, have you thought about nicknames? Does Katharine have a nickname?

With sisters named Clare, Katharine, and Caroline, I'd be inclined to stick with Cs and Ks in the future because it feels so tidily cohesive.

Oooh, I'm afraid I'm going to be that dissenting voice that says they're too close, esp. Caroline and Clare. I feel like they run into Claroline... Andrew is fabulous for another boy--new initial, new sound, same classic vibe. Caroline is pretty, but I would look for another staring sound, partially to not feel obliged to stick with other hard C/K sounds later.

Shame about Theresa. I remember your love for that name in previous posts. If he could call her Tess all the time, would he like Theresa better? I maintain that its alliteration with your last name (as far as I remember it anyway) sounds just fine to me...

I would second suggestions of Anna, Julia, Laura, Eliza, Elise, Evelyn, and Alice. I also think using a double name, like Anne Caroline, would be a great way to use Caroline without getting too close, but that might seem overly complicated to someone who prefers short, easy names. Here are some more classic ideas. Sorry for repeats (I tried to keep them in the seconded pile, but might have missed some)!

Eva
    Ruth
    Margaret or Margot (nn Meg, Margo, Greta, Etta, Maggie, Daisy or anything shorter to tempt him)
    Anne
    Hazel
    Nora or Cora (while Cora shares the starting sound, I think it is distinctive from Clare and Katherine)
    Helen or Ellen
    Sarah
    Lydia
    Louisa
    Ada(h)
    Celia
    Judith
    Amelia
    Amy (I love this classic!)
    Georgia
    Virginia
    Felicity
    Blythe
    Nina
    Nancy
    Rachel
    Rebecca (love with your crew!)

Quote Originally Posted by ellenelle View Post
    Oooh, I'm afraid I'm going to be that dissenting voice that says they're too close, esp. Caroline and Clare. I feel like they run into Claroline... Andrew is fabulous for another boy--new initial, new sound, same classic vibe. Caroline is pretty, but I would look for another staring sound, partially to not feel obliged to stick with other hard C/K sounds later.

Shame about Theresa. I remember your love for that name in previous posts. If he could call her Tess all the time, would he like Theresa better? I maintain that its alliteration with your last name (as far as I remember it anyway) sounds just fine to me...

I would second suggestions of Anna, Julia, Laura, Eliza, Elise, Evelyn, and Alice. I also think using a double name, like Anne Caroline, would be a great way to use Caroline without getting too close, but that might seem overly complicated to someone who prefers short, easy names. Here are some more classic ideas. Sorry for repeats (I tried to keep them in the seconded pile, but might have missed some)!

Eva
    Ruth
    Margaret or Margot (nn Meg, Margo, Greta, Etta, Maggie, Daisy or anything shorter to tempt him)
    Anne
    Hazel
    Nora or Cora (while Cora shares the starting sound, I think it is distinctive from Clare and Katherine)
    Helen or Ellen
    Sarah
    Lydia
    Louisa
    Ada(h)
    Celia
    Judith
    Amelia
    Amy (I love this classic!)
    Georgia
    Virginia
    Felicity
    Blythe
    Nina
    Nancy
    Rachel
    Rebecca (love with your crew!)
    It's the Claroline thing that has me scared. I know it would happen. For a while there I was calling Clare Clatharine. Theresa isn't off the table. It's one of those names that while not his favorite he likes well enough for us to use. I'm not sure I love it quite as much as I once did and I'd have to be okay with him calling her Tess. I'm just not loving Tess with my last name.

We could both get on board with Anna but that would ruin Andrew and I really don't want to do that in case we end up with 2 more. Funny that you suggested Laura (my name) and Rebecca (my only sister's name).

EDA: My Clare is nearly 10 now so by the time (if ever) we have another girl she would be quite a bit younger than her. I think that makes the Claroline problem less likely.
    Last edited by lo; July 24th, 2013 at 05:10 PM.
    Mom to Paul, Clare, Mark, Katharine, James, and Andrew
    Future girl: Stella or Grace or Lucy
    Future boy: Peter Gregory