Names Searched Right Now:

Miles with "S" last name

New here, expecting my first child. We won't be finding out the sex.

"Miles" is emerging as my favorite boy name, especially since it seems that while DH and I have similar taste in names, we can't really find one we both love.

However, I'm afraid that because "Miles" ends with an "s" and our last name starts and ends with an "s" as well it won't sound right. My husband and most other people (friends) that I've asked think I'm reading too much into it and we should just use it.

I also realized that my BIL's name ends with an "s" and I never even noticed, but it is "James" which I feel like has less of an emphasis on the ending "s" than "Miles".

I'm aware that I could use "Milo" but while it's cute, ultimately I just don't love it like I do "Miles".

What do you think? Is it ok to use?

I think you can use it without a doubt. My youngest son is Miles and our last name starts with an S. I love his name very much.

I have a close friend whose name is Miles S-------. It really isn't an issue, other than occasionally people will think his last name is whatever your last name would be without ths "S" in the beginning (Miles Smith might be interpreted Miles Mith) but **shrug**.
    Baby Sequoia Orion due October 2014!
    Other favorites: Cytheria, Arcadia, Seraphina, Caspian, Gideon

I don't think it's that big of a deal. If you think about it, you always take a quick pause when saying a person's full first and last name. Not to mention, Miles is gaining popularity, but not significant/quickly enough where it'll be likely that he'll be sharing his name with classmates. Therefore, he'll usually go by Miles rather than "Miles S_____" to clarify himself amongst other peers named Miles. I think you're totally fine. If you still have some reservations and you don't like the idea of calling him Milo as a nickname, perhaps pick a middle name starting with a letter that you could call by his initials (i.e. Miles Jonathan = MJ). But again, I don't think it's necessary to do that at all; just a suggestion if it'll give you some more ease in using it.

FYI Miles is a GREAT name! One of my top choices if I have a boy!
    Mom to Nora.

Current favorites:
    Declan (Decs/Dex). Griffin (Finn). Euan. John (Johnny).

Sylvie. Iris. Gwyneth (Gwen). Daphne (Effie). Piper.

Two things: 1. My daughter had THREE Miles in her pre-k class this year, which I was surprised by, but perhaps it is more popular than I thought.
    2. It depends on your last name. If it's common, like Smith, I doubt he would have difficulties. If it's unusual, where he would have to spell it anyway, it's probably not that big of a deal (Swavorski). If it is somehow possibly heard-of without the S he may have trouble (Swaddle).
    Caity
    Mom of Violet Isabelle, George Quincy, & Mae Elizabeth
    In the process of adopting #4 from Haiti.
    Current Favorites:
    . Ruby Madeleine . Felicity Catherine . Beatrice Claire . Robin Marie .
    . Harvey Leopold . Albert Darcy . Ralph Montgomery . Edgar Willoughby .