Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exclamation Please help us choose a name for our Baby Girl!! Sister to William Hastings

We are expecting our little girl in mid-August. Sister to William Hastings. Our last name starts with an R and has three syllables (last syllable -son). I like classic old names, but usually with a twist or not rarely used (surnames as first, unisex, etc). I really wish I would have gone with the name I really liked for my son, which was Roark, but was persuaded by family to go with the family name William. I do not want that to happen this go round!

These are the names we currently like. Margaret is a family name my mother-in-law would like us to use, but I am totally open to other options!

Vaughn Margaret
    Maeve Margaret
    Maud Margaret
    Vaughn Amelia
    Maeve Amelia
    Maud Allyn
    Winslow Kate

We really like Vaughn/Vaughan, but have been receiving some push back from our family. I personally have never met a man named Vaughn, but have met two older women with the name, so in my head it is a girl's name (or at least unisex!). Please let me know your thoughts on this name for a girl.

Thanks!!!!!!!!

Okay....for me, Vaughn is all team blue, and I wish it were used more often.

That said, when I imagined it for a woman, here's what my imagination did with it: It's 1958. M. Vaughn R****son is a high-ranking editor at an important publishing house in New York. Most don't realize that the M stands for Margaret, until they meet the attractive but no-nonsense young woman. Vaughn is a family name. She comes from an old Boston family, educated at Vassar. He mother's annoyed because she shows no inclination to 'settle down', but her father's very proud of her.

I don't know how that translates to a 21st century baby, but it's not often that a detailed image like that pops into my head, but I like it....so I now have a terrible desire for you to name your daughter Margaret Vaughn, and call her Vaughn!

As far as the particular names in combos:

I love Maud.....I think it is terribly underused. It's simultaneously soft, strong and substantial. I'm not fond of the 1-3(4) pattern of Maud Margaret or your other combos, but I am intrigued by Maud Allyn. Is Allyn a family name?
    Maeve is one of those names that I personally can't get behind. It's undeniably pretty, but unremarkable to me.
    The only of one of your combos that I dislike is Winslow Kate.....because it sounds too much like Kate Winslet to me.

So, my choice is Margaret Vaughn (known as Vaughn). If I can't talk you into that, I prefer:

Maud Allyn
    Maud Margaret
    Vaughn Margaret

Good luck! (And give it careful thought, listen to opinions, then make your own informed decision. Don't let family push you where you don't want to go.)
    Obsessing over names since 1964

I love Maeve! Maeve Amelia is my favorite, but Maeve Margaret works as well. Vaughn isn't bad, but I'd prefer it in a middle slot (I adore Margaret Vaughn!).
    And as an aside, the first thing that popped in my head when I heard Winslow Kate was Kate Winslet.

Quote Originally Posted by courtneywr View Post
    We are expecting our little girl in mid-August. Sister to William Hastings. Our last name starts with an R and has three syllables (last syllable -son). I like classic old names, but usually with a twist or not rarely used (surnames as first, unisex, etc). I really wish I would have gone with the name I really liked for my son, which was Roark, but was persuaded by family to go with the family name William. I do not want that to happen this go round!

These are the names we currently like. Margaret is a family name my mother-in-law would like us to use, but I am totally open to other options!

Vaughn Margaret
    Maeve Margaret
    Maud Margaret
    Vaughn Amelia
    Maeve Amelia
    Maud Allyn
    Winslow Kate

We really like Vaughn/Vaughan, but have been receiving some push back from our family. I personally have never met a man named Vaughn, but have met two older women with the name, so in my head it is a girl's name (or at least unisex!). Please let me know your thoughts on this name for a girl.

Thanks!!!!!!!!
    Hmm...
    For me William is such a classic, stable name that sounds very strong and handsome. Due to this I would use a feminine girl's name that works with William. For me Vaughn is a masculine name and doesn't work as a girl's name their just isn't anything attractive about Vaughn in a feminine way. I think Margaret Vaughn would work or Amelia Vaughn!! I also think Winslow Kate is gorgeous but far to modern next to William. For me Winslow sibling to William wouldn't work. Maeve Margaret sounds sweet but the alliteration is a little bit wish-washy. Whereas Maeve Amelia sounds very feminine and lovely. Maeve Amelia has a brilliant flow and sounds very elegant. Maud isn't my style though she's a stable classic I think Maud lacks that airy femininity that I like within my girl's names.

So my favourite is Maeve Amelia!

I'm kind of relieved your son didn't get stuck w/RR initials like I did. Sometimes it's good to listen to family. How about Yvonne, Ivanna, Ivanka? I usually like unisex/surname names for girls, but Vaughn just makes me think of the 'Van' portion of names like Van der Meyer.