• Saylor

21 40.38%
  • Sailor

25 48.08%
  • Other (please specify)

6 11.54%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Saylor or Sailor?

On my other thread about this name, opinion was divided over the spelling. Sailor or Saylor? As ottilie pointed out, Saylor is not a misspelling of 'Sailor': it derives from an English surname meaning 'dancer'.

My reasons for wanting to use this name complicate the spelling. My maternal grandmother's maiden name was Taylor, and my mother was a professional dancer AND her name begins with 'S', making "Saylor" seem like the ultimate honor name. Sailor, on the other hand, references the importance of the sea and maritime history in my family, and honors my mentor, a sort of honorary aunt who is an avid sailor. My first memory is of being on her sailboat. But Saylor also SOUNDS like Saylor, right? You see my dilemma. (Or you think I'm seriously overthinking this, which to be fair I probably am.)

What do you think, Berries: Saylor or Sailor? And would this one work in first place, or should it remain a middle only?

Matilda Sailor or Faye Matilda | Sylvie Winifred or Simon Atlas | Atlas Dov or Alice Violetta | Lucien Wilde or Lucinda Jane | Jane Lucinda or Jack Mariner | Marlowe Charles or Roscoe Thomas | Charles ' Charlie' Wallace or Marigold 'Maggie' Wynn | Eloise Lily or Elliot Darwin | Iris Cordelia or Thea Marina | Jasper Augustus or Juniper 'June' Lovelace | Julian Felix or Judah 'Jude' Reeve

Just a grad student dreaming ahead...

I think it works best as a middle, and I prefer Sailor to Saylor.
    Proud mama of Henry Atlas, born in July 2012
    Expecting a little lady this summer!

Currently loving...
    Girls: Lila Poet, Catherine Indiana, Gemma Scout, Juliet Liberty, Ramona Holiday, Louisa Merit, Lucy Hero, Phoebe Sunday, Margot Phoebe
    For boys: Julian Sayer, Jasper Locke, Pierre Otis, Pascal Odin, Peter Crusoe, Thomas Wilder, Robin Ulysses

I am by no means a name expert nor do I know the history or origins of the names but I think Saylor looks more feminine and Sailor looks masculine.

I don't pronounce them the same- Saylor is Say-ler, Sailor is Sail-er- so I would go with whichever pronunciation you prefer. I do think Sailor looks more masculine because of the association with, well, sailors.

I think this name would work best as a guilty pleasure or middle. All I think of is the phrase, "Hello, sailor!" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hello,_sailor
    Gareth: 05.2012
    Baby #2 04.2014

Quote Originally Posted by sowurz View Post
    I am by no means a name expert nor do I know the history or origins of the names but I think Saylor looks more feminine and Sailor looks masculine.
    I agree! Saylor also seems more of a name to me, and less an occupation.

Matilda Sailor or Faye Matilda | Sylvie Winifred or Simon Atlas | Atlas Dov or Alice Violetta | Lucien Wilde or Lucinda Jane | Jane Lucinda or Jack Mariner | Marlowe Charles or Roscoe Thomas | Charles ' Charlie' Wallace or Marigold 'Maggie' Wynn | Eloise Lily or Elliot Darwin | Iris Cordelia or Thea Marina | Jasper Augustus or Juniper 'June' Lovelace | Julian Felix or Judah 'Jude' Reeve

Just a grad student dreaming ahead...