Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Varying Popularities

Does it matter if first names have varying popularities (e.g. if there were a sister and brother named Sophia and Zephyrus)? And if the answer is yes, how big would the difference in popularity have to be before it is "too far"? Not naming, just wondering. Thank you!

GIRLS: Carlotta Miriam BenedikteMarguerite Elisabet SusannahLeonora Ruth Frederica

Car Baby Tuppence Zosia Mabel-------------------------------Recent Fancies: Mads [boy] & Esmeralda [girl]

I'm not sure that I will be able to help much because this is something I've been asking myself lately. I think that as long as sibling names are similar in style and recognizable names, it is okay if one is in the top 10 and then other in the 990s. For example, I do not think that Sophia and Zephyrus go together all that well. However I can see Sophia & Augustine (#999) or Sophia & Howard (#988) being a nice sibset.
    19 year old name lover
    Currently obsessed with Charlotte Eve & Jude Oliver
    United States

I would think Sophia and Zephyr would go well together. Aren't they both ancient Greek names? Names between siblings will almost inevitably have some variation in popularity.
    Mom to Sylvia Caron and Linus Roman

@jennifer94 - I agree in that it might be dependent on the names/style selected, but I was also wondering if an Isabella, for example, might be jealous of a Simrin, due to her rarer and (possibly in her eyes) therefore more 'thought about' name. Not that I'm saying, of course, that an Isabella's parents haven't thought about the name for a long time before deciding, or that there isn't a fabulous and meaningful story behind it, but might it be statistically more likely for there to be a meaning behind the name Simrin than Isabella, since it's far less popular? I don't know - I'm just pondering aloud now. Thank you very much!

@smismar - That was a randomly selected pair, but thank you! Of course there will naturally be variation, and popularity will not necessarily be high on the list of naming priorities for the parents, but I was wondering whether a Sophia might be irritated that there are seven Sophias in their class, as opposed to there only being their brother Zephyr with that name in the school. I know that my sister felt that her name was far more popular for her birth year than mine (although she actually prefers her name to mine anyway, luckily!) and it annoyed her slightly. Thank you again!

GIRLS: Carlotta Miriam BenedikteMarguerite Elisabet SusannahLeonora Ruth Frederica

Car Baby Tuppence Zosia Mabel-------------------------------Recent Fancies: Mads [boy] & Esmeralda [girl]

Oh, also @smismar, sorry I meant to say that I love Fiala from your signature - it is my sister's favourite girl's name, and she is determined to use it (with the nickname Foogie for when she is little). Sylvia and Linus sound divine together!