Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mei_mei View Post
    I'm kind of baffled by the outrage. It's no secret that lots of people try to avoid the next big 'it' name or the 'it' name of five years ago thats now falling (Emily) in favor of choices lower down on the charts.
    I agree with this. The names are different but they do have similar sound, length and feel. Emily is a beautiful name but so it Amelia. I can easily see how someone who likes the name Emily could also like the name Amelia.
    The 3 Princesses in my life...

Elizabeth Hope
    Annabelle Cadence
    Madeleine Pearl

I totally understand why somebody would like both names, they're both beautiful!

I think what got me going was multiple people told my sister she could not use Amelia for her daughter because it's the same as Emily which is my name, apparently you cannot have an Emily AND Amelia in the family. Sometimes it feels like people think of them as identical not just similar. That's where I was coming from. Does that make more sense? I have nothing against liking them both cause they are similar, just when people mistake them for identical/interchangeable names.
    My Favorites:

Colette Kristine. Alice Evanna. Gemma Elizabeth. Mabel Verity. Rosalie Grace.

Jack Jeffrey. Carson Luke. Felix James. Leo Patrick. River Justin.

can't wait to marry my love!

Quote Originally Posted by mnmemily15 View Post
    I totally understand why somebody would like both names, they're both beautiful!

I think what got me going was multiple people told my sister she could not use Amelia for her daughter because it's the same as Emily which is my name, apparently you cannot have an Emily AND Amelia in the family. Sometimes it feels like people think of them as identical not just similar. That's where I was coming from. Does that make more sense? I have nothing against liking them both cause they are similar, just when people mistake them for identical/interchangeable names.
    I get what you mean now. Yes they are different names and Amelia is still usable, I can also see how it would be confusing to have both an Emily and an Amelia in the same family though.
    The 3 Princesses in my life...

Elizabeth Hope
    Annabelle Cadence
    Madeleine Pearl

Some people read Amelia like Emilia, so Emily and Amelia might be similar to someone who pronounce Amelia like Emilia.

Also, I think many parents who want to use rare name don't care if name is classic or not. These parents want children with unique or semi-unique name, so "classic" names are out of question.
    Tristan Gilbert°Robin Amaury°Leon Percival°Edmund Theoderic°Finn Beowulf°Magnus Oberon°Thorin Elliot°Edric Maximilian°Emil Orlando°Roscoe Lucius
    Freya Marigold°Belle Seraphina°Leda Cassiopeia°Briony Rosaline°Charlotte Romilly°Lotus Dorothea°Aurora Nimue°Cecily Eliska°Mabel Celestina°Gaia Melisende
    girl & boy

Some people read Amelia like Emilia, so Emily and Amelia might be similar to someone who pronounce Amelia like Emilia.
    Good point! So Amelia would be pronouced like Eh-mi-lia? That's how I read Emilia in my head but I read Amelia like Uh-meal-ee-a. That makes sense to think of them as more similar that way then.