Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Angry This makes me angry

Okay so the caps were a little unnecessary but I just need to rant right now.

I don't understand why people think that Emily and Amelia are next to identical names that you can switch out for one another. Like Emily is too popular so you pick Amelia instead. They sound different. They look different. Different beginnings. Different endings. Different meanings. Different origins.

Similar, I guess but it just really annoys me. If you love Emily use Emily because it's classic. Classic names are never too popular. Don't switch it out for something that sounds kind of similar because it's not at all the same name.

THERE RANT OVER WITH.

thank you berries.
    My Favorites:

Colette Kristine. Alice Evanna. Gemma Elizabeth. Mabel Verity. Rosalie Grace.

Jack Jeffrey. Carson Luke. Felix James. Leo Patrick. River Justin.

can't wait to marry my love!

Someone might choose Amelia because it is similar to Emily. They're similar in style, name length, and feel.

Not everyone is a name nerd so they don't know that the names are different in origin. Also, I know that while they are different in origin, they're still very closely related (in sound), Amelia being from Amalia and Emily being from Aemilia. Add to it that the names related to Emily in other Romance languages are so similar to Amelia (I'm looking at you, Emilia), it makes it feel like they are connected.
    ** The opinions expressed above are not meant to be reflective of Nameberry as a whole but are my opinion and mine alone. **

Mommy to:
    Henry Nathaniel (3) and Julia Paige (1)

Current favorites:
    Bennett - Emmett - Felix - Oliver - Owen - Preston - Samuel
    Abigail - Claire - Clara - Hope - Lydia - Maude - Molly

Well, I loved Oliver, because it was classic and yet had a touch of quirk. I decided to go with Oscar instead, as it was similar, had a similar 'vibe', I liked it just as much and it wasn't as popular.

I'm sorry, I just really can't see why that would make anyone upset. I'm not under the impression that the names share an origin (which was completely a non-issue to me); I just like them both and one was lower and more stable on the SSA charts then the other.

I'm kind of baffled by the outrage. It's no secret that lots of people try to avoid the next big 'it' name or the 'it' name of five years ago thats now falling (Emily) in favor of choices lower down on the charts.
    Melissa, Mama to Oscar Leopold.

http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9653103

I see your point.

I wouldn't switch one for the other.

Emily is beautiful, it has a soft and pleasant sound, whereas Amelia has a unpleasant sound to my ears.
    ♥ Margaret Mary ♥
    19. Name nerd. College freshman.

~ Eliza Josephine ~ Esther Christabel ~ Harriet Aurelia ~ Mary Jessamine ~ Rose Georgina ~ Sarah Margaret ~
    ~ Asher Benedict ~ Gabriel Walter ~ John Constantine ~ Noah August ~ Reuben Alexander ~ Samuel Ernest ~

Quote Originally Posted by mei_mei View Post
    Well, I loved Oliver, because it was classic and yet had a touch of quirk. I decided to go with Oscar instead, as it was similar, had a similar 'vibe', I liked it just as much and it wasn't as popular.

I'm sorry, I just really can't see why that would make anyone upset. I'm not under the impression that the names share an origin (which was completely a non-issue to me); I just like them both and one was lower and more stable on the SSA charts then the other.

I'm kind of baffled by the outrage. It's no secret that lots of people try to avoid the next big 'it' name or the 'it' name of five years ago thats now falling (Emily) in favor of choices lower down on the charts.
    Sorry my tone wasn't supposed to be like in an uproar or anything! It just is one of those little things that bothers me. I'm not gonna go out and start a petition or something haha.

I understand the whole popular/trendy vs unique battle which I think is the reason a lot of parents use similar names instead of the one they love. But in my opinion Emily is a classic so it shouldn't be defined as popular so why would you switch it? Especially to a name like Amelia which is also very classy but becoming equally as popular.
    My Favorites:

Colette Kristine. Alice Evanna. Gemma Elizabeth. Mabel Verity. Rosalie Grace.

Jack Jeffrey. Carson Luke. Felix James. Leo Patrick. River Justin.

can't wait to marry my love!