Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Girl Name Forbidden by In-Laws

Hoping you can help! I am pregnant with my 4th child. I have 2 girls and 1 boy. They all have "C" names and my girls have gender bender names. (Charleigh Elaine, Carson Geneva, and Cal Gardner. I have a strong feeling this one will be a girl and the only name I have picked out, that I love for a girl is Cody. I think it goes well with my other children's names.

Here is my dilemma. Last night my SIL is in town and asked what I have picked out for names. I told her my choice for a girl is Cody. She practically screamed "NO" and my MIL followed suit by saying "You can't do that!" Apparently, this was the name of the woman that had an affair with my SIL ex husband. I understand how they feel about the name. But she is remarried and never had children with this ex husband that she was only married to for 9 months. Should I let their feelings determine my name choice or try and find a new name to pacify them? I asked my DH and he likes the name Cody and was shocked that they made such a big deal about it. Even though he feels this way, he would never rock the boat where his mother and sister are concerned.

Please advice, and maybe some name recommendations that I may like. Thanks!

Hmm tough call. That's clearly a very bad association for them. I have a sister who went through a pretty traumatic divorce, and though she never had kids with him and is now happily remarried, I would not consider using the name of her ex. I just wouldn't want to do that to her.

On the other hand, they will love the child no matter what and maybe the new association with the name will replace the old. Might not be worth the disagreement in the meantime though. Have you considered Cory? I find that more unisex than Cody.
    Last edited by emsky; July 11th, 2013 at 02:02 PM.
    Cora~Esme~Hazel~Sylvie~Thea
    Archer~Emmett~Ezra~Leo~Theo

Although it may have been a short marriage, scars like that can run deep, do you want your mother in law and sister in law to wince every time they hear your daughters name and be reminded of a very difficult time in their lives? As much as they could just get over it, maybe it might be better to move onto a different C name, or at least try to!

Cai
    Caddy
    Caro
    Cara
    Capri
    Carri
    Carys/Cerys
    Celia
    Clover
    Cherie
    Clara
    Cleo
    Chloe
    Cora

Rough n Tumble
    Lachlan Alexander
    Evander 'Anders' Alcott - Thatcher William - Peregrine North - Dresden Alasdair

Pretty in Pink
    Lavender Irie
    Natalie Winter - Adelaide Pearl - Hermione Jane - Corisande Fable - Virginia Joy- Odessa Faye

Quote Originally Posted by kibby View Post
    Although it may have been a short marriage, scars like that can run deep, do you want your mother in law and sister in law to wince every time they hear your daughters name and be reminded of a very difficult time in their lives? As much as they could just get over it, maybe it might be better to move onto a different C name, or at least try to!
    Yep.

Cory/Cori is similar to Cody.
    ** The opinions expressed above are not meant to be reflective of Nameberry as a whole but are my opinion and mine alone. **

Mommy to:
    Henry Nathaniel (3) and Julia Paige (1)

Current favorites:
    Bennett - Emmett - Felix - Oliver - Owen - Preston - Samuel
    Abigail - Claire - Clara - Hope - Lydia - Maude - Molly

Yeah, I wouldn't do that. I imagine that if you used it anyway it would cause quite a rift between you and the in-laws. If it were me I'd hate to feel like I hurt someone by using a name.

The PP's gave great suggestions for similar alternates.