Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bernadette?

Not really my style. I knew a Bernadette in High School though. She was very athletic, had brown hair and freckles.

Bernadette seems very 'Irish nun' to me. I quite like it though, especially in the middle spot. I think Helena Valentine and Gloria Bernadette are very well-balanced and well-weighted in terms of length, flow and aesthetics. Good sibset
    William ♠ Thomas ♠ Peter ♠ Henry ~ Rose ♠ Alice ♠ Ivy ♠ Lowenna
    Mowesi ~ Henwyn Kernewek ~ Mebyon

Sounds like a name my dad would like (along with Roxanne, Ingrid).

I don't mind it. It's a quirky sort of cute and I could see it on the right kid. I do not like the nickname Bernie at all, so I wouldn't use it for that reason alone.
    Ava Catherine - April 23, 2008
    Emma Julienne - May 24, 2010
    Iris Genevieve - January 15, 2013

Beatrice, Agatha, Miriam, Calanthe, Georgiana, Daphne, Regina, Bethany, Fiona, Penelope, and Eleanor
    Frederick, Theodore, Ian, William, Geoffrey, Victor, Eli, Percival, Arthur, Calvin, and Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by bibliophile View Post
    It sounds a little dated to me. Something about it just screams unattractive to me, I don't know why. I much prefer the softer-sounding Berenice, but only spelled as Bérénice and pronounced the French way (bay-ray-NEES).
    I love Helena Valentine, not so much in love with Gloria Bernadette. Gloria sounds to me like what Pam and Linda might dub a "mom name," and Bernadette her fussy grandma. Sorry, I guess it's just not for me.
    See, I have this problem with LOVING old-fashioned, 'dated' names. So it doesn't bother me in the slightest, since I'm really attracted to the vintage feel.

I pronounce Berenice Burr-neice, and really don't like it. It's clipped and harsh to me.

The funny thing is that I didn't really like this name at all until yesterday, but the balance of the 'burn' sound with the more delicate 'ette' works wonders, I've found.
    I’m just trying to behave as I think a friend should behave. Granted, I haven’t had much practice.

~Elphaba Thropp, Wicked, by Gregory Maguire