Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Alia or Aria?

I don't see how you can pronounce Alia as "Alaya". I don't know a single language where "i" is pronounced "ay", certainly not in English —*it's a confusing & completely ilogical pronunciation for that spelling.

Aria would my pick.
    Arabella, Thibault, Sophia, Alfred, Eleanor, Rémi, Charlotte, Achille, Olivia, Clement, Elizabeth, Frederick, Maud, Benedict, Adèle.

I really love the name Aria. I like it for it's musical theme and also it's ease to say and spell.

Quote Originally Posted by sugarplumfairy View Post
    I don't see how you can pronounce Alia as "Alaya". I don't know a single language where "i" is pronounced "ay", certainly not in English —*it's a confusing & completely ilogical pronunciation for that spelling.

Aria would my pick.
    I agree with sugarplumfairy (again). I know a girl named Alaia, if you like that spelling.
    ** The opinions expressed above are not meant to be reflective of Nameberry as a whole but are my opinion and mine alone. **

Mommy to:
    Henry Nathaniel (3) and Julia Paige (1)

Current favorites:
    Bennett - Emmett - Felix - Oliver - Owen - Preston - Samuel
    Abigail - Claire - Clara - Hope - Lydia - Maude - Molly

Aria its so pretty

I'm not a fan of Aria, but in this case I'd choose it over Alia.

Alia is confusing. I'd say it as AH-lee-ah (not like Aaliyah or Dahlia, somewhere between). I really have trouble even seeing where you're getting the ah-LAY-ah pn from, and the Leya nn is even more confusing. Maybe if you spelt it Alea? But that looks weird. Aleia? I don't know.
    ★ O L I V I A ★
    (seventeen, student / traveller, obsessively maternal and owner of darling black cat Shura)

Emmett - Alec - Rufus - Wilfred - Eoghan
    Trudie - Fenella - Aoife - Jemima - Eilidh