Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I'm so sorry you had such a horrible/traumatic experience the first time around. Like a few others here I am planning a vbac for this pregnancy, I'm 39w1d today, so we are playing the waiting game at my house! I'll be sure to check in again in a few weeks with an update on how everything went.

My c-section was also an emergency and it took them two tries to place the epidural and I was very close to being put under general. I think, if I remember correctly from my surgical notes that I wound up with a combined epidural/spinal. I'm glad I wasn't under completely. Leo had to go straight to NICU after delivery for swallowing and aspirating meconium, so I didn't get to hold him right away, but at the time I think I was so exhausted from the day, and a bit high on morphine for the disappointment to really set in.
    I wouldn't choose to be under general, but hearing about your experience, I can understand why you might want that option. I do think having a scheduled c-section, would make a difference though. Everything would be a lot calmer, there would be less of a rush as it wouldn't be the "emergency" situation it was the first time around.

Anyway, its good that you are thinking about these things now, giving yourself lots of time to gather all the information you need to make the decision.
    Leo Sebastian l Ronan Alexander

current loves
    Felix l Finn l Moss l Heath l Fern l Veda l Tui l Blythe

@rin, believe it or not, it wasn't technically an emergency situation. Her heart rate was fine, no signs of fetal distress. And I was also fine, my body just wouldn't progress past 4 cm and they had already broken my water so there was no other option. It was just a "Well, I guess we'll just go ahead with a c-section then" declaration. Almost like they knew the induction would fail, so in some weird way they were giving me what I wanted? Who knows. They wouldn't believe me when I kept saying "Why do I still feel pain? Are they gonna give me something else to numb me in the OR?" frantically and the nurse just shushing me and saying "Oh, you have an epidural honey, you won't feel a thing!" They didn't notice I could feel it until my body went into shock and I was screaming. The nurse/surgical assistant next to my head yelled "She's feeling all of this!" and literally squeezed a bag of ketamine into my IV and I was out of it, my head was spinning and I kind of had an out of body experience. I remember waking up to nurses pushing on my abdomen to get everything out in recovery and them not understanding why I was moaning in pain, I'm pretty sure they thought I had had a spinal or an epidural that actually worked. I had my husband trying to show me Rowan and nurses trying to talk to me and I couldn't focus.

Anyway, I will be looking for your update and I hope everything goes smoothly for you!
    My cherished daughter, Rowan Jane. ~b. 10/2011~

Sawyer ~ Aven ~ Elowen ~ Sage ~ Eilonwy ~ Eleanor
    Morgan ~ Asher ~ ___ ~ ___ ~ Currently trying to fill the blanks...

Trying for #2 in January 2014.

The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth by Henci Goer and Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering by Sarah Buckley both have lots of info on benefits/risks to epidurals and c-sections. Your birth story sounds awful, I'm so sorry you had to go through that! In terms of making your next birth less traumatic, have you thought about hiring a doula? Having an advocate and someone to help you make decisions could really boost your confidence. I definitely don't think you're silly for considering a VBAC, for most women it's the safest option.
    Mother to miss Mila Arden and her brand new brother, Cato Bennett

Took me a while to remember and find this thread again!

I had a vbac a little less than 1 month ago with Ronan, who arrived 1week and 1 day late (and on his brother's birthday!)

My contractions were strong and regular from the get go, and my total labour was just over 8 hours. It would have been faster if he had been in a better position (he was posterior, and no amount of hands and kneeds etc could make him budge!). Labour began just before midnight and I was fully dilated by about 4am. Because he was posterior however, he was taking a really long time to move down and turn through my pelvis.

I managed without any pain relief for some time after I was fully and getting the urge to push, however, I began to get pain across the scar from my section, while pushing. I'd get the urge, push then get this horrible sensation at the scar. It became quite distracting (read: thoughts about uterine rupture!) and I was unable to just use deep breathing through the pain. I tried the gas, but the secondary pain was still very distracting and we decided that since baby still had a fair way to move down and was going to take a while, that I'd get an epidural in (though it was placed at only 80% strength, so I still felt the contractions and needed to breathe through them, but it took away the pain I was feeling across the scar).

There was a time limit on how long they would let me push for, and I went over it by some time. In the end I had ventouse assistance (episiotomy), also his shoulder caused a 2nd degree tear on its way out. I found the stiches far more uncomfortable than the c-section wound, purely because of the location. But, my gosh, so much faster to heal!

The best bit though was having him straight onto my chest after delivery.
    Leo Sebastian l Ronan Alexander

current loves
    Felix l Finn l Moss l Heath l Fern l Veda l Tui l Blythe