Names Searched Right Now:

Pronunciation of Demi?

Is it like DEH-mee like Demi Levato or duh-MEE like Demi Moore? These are the ways I've heard most with these celebrities but it probably varies. They're the only people I know with the name so the two different pronunciations make it hard to decide which is the correct one. Thoughts?
    Felicity ~ Calista ~ Claudia ~ Beatrice "Betty" ~ Carlotta ~ Millie ~ Cora ~ Audrey ~ Violet

Calvin ~ Jude ~ Miles ~ Oliver ~ Roscoe ~ Benjamin ~ Leo ~ Adrian ~ Isaac ~ Colin

Please rate my namelist! http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9831814

I think both pronunciations are correct, it is a preference thing. Like some people like Ariana as Ahr-ee-awna and other like it Air-ee-awna.
    I prefer Deh-mee.
    mom to Mckinley Mayfair, Christian Wayne & Sir Angus Fionn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    fave girls
    fave boys
    fave combos
    just for fun combos

Well, the French word "demi" (meaning "half") is pronounced duh-MEE or deh-MEE. I'm not fluent in French but I've taken it for years at school. As a name though, I tend to pronounce it DEM-ee like Lovato. My sister was obsessed with her for awhile... I think you could use whichever pronunciation you preferred.
    ~Love names, literature, royals and horses~ <3

Favourite names:
    Girls: Azalea, Cordelia, Elizabeth, Rosalind, Scarlett, Portia, Felicity, Juliet
    Boys: Fitzwilliam, Sebastian, Percival, Prospero, Orlando, Darcy

I know two teenage girls with the name, both pronounce it DEM-ee, as in Lovato.
    LUCA || ALTHEA
    [formerly nj003]

I guess technically if you're attempting to shorten Demetria (Duh-MEE-tree-uh), it would be pronounced Duh-MEE. This sounds awkward and clunky, at least to me, which probably led to the stress on the first syllable with DEH-mee. While this isn't the greatest example, it's sort of like if you were going to shorten Josiah (Jo-SI-uh), you would probably gravitate toward JO-see rather than Jo-SI. I'd go with the DEH-mee pronounciation.