Names Searched Right Now:

Pronunciation of Demi?

Is it like DEH-mee like Demi Levato or duh-MEE like Demi Moore? These are the ways I've heard most with these celebrities but it probably varies. They're the only people I know with the name so the two different pronunciations make it hard to decide which is the correct one. Thoughts?
    Felicity ~ Calista ~ Claudia ~ Beatrice "Betty" ~ Carlotta ~ Millie ~ Cora ~ Audrey ~ Violet

Calvin ~ Jude ~ Miles ~ Oliver ~ Roscoe ~ Benjamin ~ Leo ~ Adrian ~ Isaac ~ Colin

Please rate my namelist! http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9831814

I think both pronunciations are correct, it is a preference thing. Like some people like Ariana as Ahr-ee-awna and other like it Air-ee-awna.
    I prefer Deh-mee.
    ♥Mckinley Mayfair, Christian Wayne & Sir Angus Fionn♥

Favorites June 2016
    Elizabeth, Adelaide, Juniper, Amelia, Arabella, Beatrice, Clara, Charlotte, Cordelia, Hermione
    the rest of the girls

William, Jasper, Edgar, Gilbert, Morgan, Henry, Sebastian, Arthur, Monroe, Basil
    the rest of the boys

Lyra Primrose, Amelia Hyacinth, Emmeline Bronte/ Magnus Frey, Julian Mackenzie, Sebastian Lake
    the rest of my combos

Well, the French word "demi" (meaning "half") is pronounced duh-MEE or deh-MEE. I'm not fluent in French but I've taken it for years at school. As a name though, I tend to pronounce it DEM-ee like Lovato. My sister was obsessed with her for awhile... I think you could use whichever pronunciation you preferred.
    ~Love names, literature, royals and horses~ <3

Favourite names:
    Girls: Azalea, Cordelia, Elizabeth, Rosalind, Scarlett, Felicity, Juliet
    Boys: Fitzwilliam, Sebastian, Percival, Oliver, Darcy, Orlando

I know two teenage girls with the name, both pronounce it DEM-ee, as in Lovato.

ZARA. MAEVE. TALA. TESSA. AUTUMN. IVY. GENEVIEVE. GRACE. LAUREL. CASSIA. MIEKE. FREYJA
    EZEKIEL. RONAN. PÁDRAIG. ASA. CALEB. KIT. EDMOND. LUCA. SAGE. VIGGO. ABEL. CASPIAN.
    ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

[always collecting]

I guess technically if you're attempting to shorten Demetria (Duh-MEE-tree-uh), it would be pronounced Duh-MEE. This sounds awkward and clunky, at least to me, which probably led to the stress on the first syllable with DEH-mee. While this isn't the greatest example, it's sort of like if you were going to shorten Josiah (Jo-SI-uh), you would probably gravitate toward JO-see rather than Jo-SI. I'd go with the DEH-mee pronounciation.