Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Name for daughter we are adopting from China

Hello,
    We are trying to decide on a name for our soon to be daughter. We are adopting an 18 month old baby girl from China. We are completely thrilled, so very excited. We've known about her for about a month and haven't been able to decide on her name. Would love some input.
    We have 3 boys, Gabe, Dexter, and Quincy. I'm so excited to have a daughter.
    It seems like so many of the names we love have been used by family or close friends. We like Anna Kate, Penelope, & Annabelle. We will likely keep her Chinese name as a middle name.
    Thoughts on any of those? Other suggestions? Criteria- definitely girly. Obvious pronunciation.
    We live in a small town, I don't want a super super popular name, but nothing too far out there. Example, we have lots of Isabella's in town, but we just now got a Harper.
    Thanks,
    Michelle

Those are all fairly popular names, or at least variations/combinations of popular names. Here are some feminine alternatives or similar choices:
    Mirabelle
    Mary Alice
    Annabeth
    Fiona
    Arabella
    Camille
    Daphne
    Aurora
    Clementina
    Marielle
    Stella
    Eliana
    Angeline
    Annika
    Marian
    Samantha
    Evangeline
    Gabrielle
    Christabelle
    Anneliese
    Madeleine
    Rosalie
    Coraline
    Maybelle
    Lillian

Perrine means 'traveler'. I've met a boy using Perrin, but no little girls named Perrine (though I have a few French ancestors with the name). I think it's sweet.

What's her Chinese name? Is there a way of translating that into English? It's something that was given to her, so that might be important to her someday. If there isn't really a translation, I like "Lily", "Eve", "Joy" or "Hope".

Your choices are all lovely.
    Penelope might get very popular, so if you're worried about popularity, you might want to avoid it.
    Anna is fairly popular - #35 most popular last year. It's classic though, and will probably never feel overly popular.

Alice
    Anneliese
    Audrey
    Catherine (nn Cat or Cate)
    Cecilia
    Delilah
    Elodie
    Hazel
    Isla (the pronunciation isn't entirely intuitive, "I-la", but it's so pretty and feminine!)
    Josephine
    Mila
    Natalie
    Noelle
    Phoebe
    Serena
    Violet
    Last edited by jyoti; July 11th, 2013 at 12:18 AM. Reason: adding
    tea drinker + cat lover + ever-evolving baker+cook...positive realist who loves beautiful words, names, and images.

Feel free to ask me about Sanskrit-based names.