Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Wk 20: help us make a list of ?'s for the OB!

Hey all,

So we have our next OB visit this coming Thursday (7/25) afternoon at 3:15. I know there are a TON of questions we should have ready to ask her but I'm not sure I've got them all covered: so I figured who better to ask than my Nameberry friends?? So here is what I have so far, your tips/input/suggestions would be greatly appreciated (additional questions or modifications to my current questions are both welcome, especially since I'm really not sure how some of these are best worded):

1. What are your induction and c-section rates? This one I'm really not sure how to phrase so tips would be very appreciated!
    2. Ask for her thoughts on the Disney World trip a couple of weeks after baby girl's debut (see my other thread for that info). Hope and pray she thinks it's a bad idea
    3. What are your thoughts on delayed cord clamping?
    4. What do you think are the odds I'll be able to have an epidural? This question is because of the metal rods I have fused to my spine, but I do realize she probably won't be able to answer it and I'll probably have to wait until I speak with an actual anesthesiologist.
    5. What class(es) (i.e., labor & delivery) should hubby and I sign up for, and when?
    6. Are there any particular books you highly recommend we read since this is our first?

Maybe this is too many? Or what are we missing? I need to have them written down because otherwise I will absolutely forget when on the spot. As always, thanks so much for your thoughts, Nameberry is far and away my favorite resource for all things baby-related and I am just so excited to finally be on this journey!!! <<hugs>>
    Christine

Pregnancy #1: lost to mc, 10/11

Amelia Joelle arrived on 11/28/13 at 7 pounds, 4 ounces of pure beauty. Couldn't be happier to finally be mommy!

Lets see
    1. Will you be delivering the baby or do you work on an on call schedule?
    2. If you will be delivering how do you feel about augmenting labor, induction, c sections and things like forceps vacuum. What are your rates of csection.
    3. Do you perform routine episiotomy. ?
    4.How long will I be able to labor naturally once my water is broken before you suggest csection.
    For liability most drs won't or cant give their personal opinions on things like books and classes. Thats from my experience. Most hospitals have some sort of birthing class ive never been to one though. I would ask about any alternative pain management you're thinking about, birthing ball or bath tub etc. Also ask about intermittent fetal monitoring so you don't have to be stuck in bed. Hope this helps you out

Ooooh Hootowl, those are fantastic! Thank you SO much! I hope you're feeling better and that things have settled down??

PS. Oh lordy, just reading the word "episiotomy" makes me cross my legs! EEEESH.
    Christine

Pregnancy #1: lost to mc, 10/11

Amelia Joelle arrived on 11/28/13 at 7 pounds, 4 ounces of pure beauty. Couldn't be happier to finally be mommy!

Cvdutch thank you I'm glad I could help. The only other question I can think of is how far over due they are comfortable letting you go? up to 4 weeks is generally safe though most say 2 to 3 weeks.
    thing are better my nerves have calmed some.

Quote Originally Posted by cvdutch31 View Post

1. What are your induction and c-section rates? This one I'm really not sure how to phrase so tips would be very appreciated!

I would ask these separately. I think its ok to just come out and ask about when/if induction is routinely done and the reasons behind it.

As for c-section I would say something like "I am afraid of getting a c-section, what are the chances that one will be necessary for me?" "How often does a [normal low risk pregnancy/complications in your own pregnancy] proceed to c-section?

Good luck
    Mom to Henry, Mollie, Gideon, and expecting Clark Ebenezer in November.