Names Searched Right Now:

Thread: How to Decide?

How to Decide?

While looking at my girls list, I've come to realize that out of the realistic names that my fiancé and I might one day actually use I basically have two distinct lists.

There's the distinctly feminine without being overly flowery (at least to me):
    Scarlett
    Georgia
    Tallulah
    Magnolia
    Annabel
    Virginia
    Etc.

Then there's the wonderfully unisex/tomboyish:
    Greer
    Sutton
    Sloane
    Rowan
    Adler
    Etc.

I truly love both lists and there's no way I could simply disregard one or the other. So, that being said, how would you decide which list you would actually use? And, any suggestions for some sort of middle ground?

Thanks!

To be honest, I'd keep both lists and slowly eliminate the names you don't truly love. Thats what I do when my lists become too long.

I say the names out loud, pretend to be in variou situations:
    shopping (do u feel comfortable calling the name out loud? Potentially shouting it?)
    teenage child (can u imagine this name on your teenage daughter?)
    Imagine telling you parents, friends, siblings - do oyu feel comfortable using the name?

I often find myself loving names but not being comfortable saying them out loud - hence its not the right name.

Try to make combo's using both lists too. That way you get to use both lists.

Personally, I would use the names in list one and choose a middle name from list two. That way, you get the best of both worlds. I just think the unisex/surnames are less interesting for first names but that's just my preference. The only one I find appealing on the unisex list is Rowan. The rest are kind of harsh sounding. Some combo examples are below.

Annabel Sloane
    Tallulah Greer
    Virginia Sutton
    All the best,
    Mischa.

I have three themes in the names I love. Southern/old sounding names (ie Clementine,), Welsh/Irish/Scottish sounding (Fiona namely), and unisex/harder sounds (Adair).
    Likely the ones on my Southern/old fashioned list are GPs (as much as I love Clementine, it's a little harder for me to imagine telling people that's her name- also my boyfriend and I have classic, common names... Hard to imagine Katherine, Jeffrey and Clementine as a family without feeling a little silly!)
    Sometimes I believe I will call the whole thing off and just name my kids Elizabeth and William! They're classic, timeless and solid names with some usable nickname options. Can't argue with that!
    Since I'm not planning a family any time soon, its all for entertainment at this point anyway