Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Newly discovered family name, usable?

Hiya!
    My father and I were cleaning up the garage a few days ago, and we came across some newspaper clippings from quite a while back. On it were names of all our ancestors on his side (obituaries my gran kept). One of them looks like a family name that is passed on to first born boys.
    The name is Colwell (it was a surname way back in the family tree, and has been used on 4 family members as middle names) It skipped my father as his mother didnt want her kids to have MN.
    I just wanted to know if the name Colwell would be frowned upon in this modern age (as a MN)?

Here is a bit of what Colwell means: English: habitational name from places in Northumberland and Devon named Colwell. The former is named with Old English col ‘(char)coal’ or col ‘cool’ + well(a) ‘spring’, ‘stream’; the latter has as the first element a Celtic river name, Coly, apparently meaning ‘narrow’.

Note: I am not expecting/nor am i even thinking of babies, i am just curious about your opinions
    Ladies: Holly|Storm|Lily|Juno|Indy|Zoe
    Gents: Jonty|Jordan|Hunter|James|Xavier|Kyan

I love family names, and Colwell is strong and interesting, and you get the excellent nn Cole. On the same subject, I recently discovered Levicy very far back in the family tree as a surname/girls' name. Thoughts?

I actually don't mind it, and would probably easily warm up to it with little effort.
    It is a combination of familiar sounds, and accessible nicknames, could definitely work.

Lachlan Alexander - Evander 'Anders' Alcott - Cadmus Walter - Theron Xavier - Thatcher William - Peregrine North - Dresden Alasdair

Natalie Winter - Adelaide Pearl - Hermione Jane - Corisande Fable - Lavender Alina/Irie - Cordelia Autumn - Virginia Joy- Odessa Faye

Awesome, positive feedback is always great lol
    @rkrd: I love the nick name Cole too Levicy is a very unusual name! i think it could work as a middle for a girl.
    Last edited by redrover; July 10th, 2013 at 05:21 PM.
    Ladies: Holly|Storm|Lily|Juno|Indy|Zoe
    Gents: Jonty|Jordan|Hunter|James|Xavier|Kyan

My first instinct was not as the first name, but then Maxwell is a first name so why not? I like it more for a middle, but it could be either! Definitely one to keep on the list.