Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Gray - Rambling Alert

Gosh, even the combinations I have loved for years have not been spared this recent pondering! First Cassandra, now Dougal...*gulp* The next combination for repairs is indeed Dougal Fitzwilliam Gray/_____. Dougal Fitzwilliam are both important to me for different reasons, so they will stay put (for now), but I'm beginning to wonder about Gray. The meaning is (wait for it) 'grey', and this is the same meaning as a family name of mine, Lloyd. However, I don't think Lloyd will quite cut it, for various reasons. I'm drawn to Dougal Fitzwilliam Nicholas, but am unsure if it is a bit heavy? What do you think, Berries? Do you like Gray/Nicholas or can you think of another suggestion? Thank you so much!

(Names from legends/literature/history/mythology in general are usually my cup of tea, if that helps)
    (Sorry for the bracketed rambling)

Dougal Fitzwilliam Nicholas is a lot of syllables. Add a surname to the end and it does feel heavy. I prefer Dougal Fitzwilliam Gray. Gray is short but sturdy and adds an air of mystery to the combo. The lightness of the sound helps to balance the heavier Dougal and Fitzwilliam.
    Emily, 19, Southeastern US.
    College student, name nerd, and generally geeky.
    ♂ | Samuel Edward George Arthur Ezra Gideon James
    ♀ | Jane Helen Anne Cora Phoebe Gwen Catherine

I quite adore Gray! And Dougal Fitzwilliam Gray is fab, I think. I wouldn't change it. Although Nicholas is lovely, and I do like Dougal Fitzwilliam Nicholas, as well. It just looks really long, as opposed to sounding really long.
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd and aspiring novelist

Isabelle Aurora Grace | Caleb Elias Joseph | Arianne Eleanor Daisy | Everett Joshua Charles
    Olivia Wren Camille | Jack August Wilder | Violet Ophelia Claire | Avery Ian George

@southern.maple - Thank you, I agree with Nicholas. It just goes on a bit too long. But do you think that Gray is light enough to offset the other two names? I'm seeing it as quite heavy too, but I'm not sure. Anyway, thank you very much! (Also, sorry if you're getting fed up with me, I literally just commented on one of your recent threads a few minutes ago...)

@ashthedreamer - Thank you, I love the sound and look too, but I just can't quite decide - this is the problem with being too fickle! (Oh sorry, just have to say, glancing over your signature, you have some fabulous names in there. I hope that doesn't sound weird, just out of the blue. Sorry.) Where was I? Thank you very much, I'm glad you like Gray too!