Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Boys vs Girls

Question Boys vs Girls

It has become increasingly apparent to me that I prefer naming and talking about names of girls. I just don't seem to be as bothered about the boys. I currently have four long standing members on my signature that are there just to balance it out [I am not particularly in LOVE with them and I don't think I'd even mind if my boys were called the popular Jack or Oliver] I don't get as excited and that spark of joy I get with the girls just doesn't happen. Is it just me being selfish or do other people experience gender naming preference too? Why don't I enjoy boys names? And...how can I get excited? I feel like a failure of a namenerd!
    Last edited by whirligig; July 10th, 2013 at 01:30 PM. Reason: missed a bit
    [ Ingo Julius ][ Igor John ][ Rory Judd ]
    [ Ottilie ][ Emeline ][ Llio ][ Grace ][ Edie ][ Miriam ]

Well, just take a look at the girl's forum compared to the boys. It's about twice as big, twice as fast. Women tend to want daughters just as men tend to want sons; it's more fun for us to imagine a pretty little girl. Like when we played with dolls. You weren't playing with boy dolls, just girl dolls. Same thing, except bigger.
    I'm not feeling incredibly profound at the moment. Check back later.

Edited for privacy.
    Last edited by charlieandperry1; July 28th, 2014 at 04:46 PM.

Hey-thanks for replying.

celianne-YES! I used to spend hours not playing with PollyPockets/Barbies but making their names and ordering registers. Although I did have two boy dolls called Rick and Harry [I have no idea why I called them that!]

charlieandperry1-Oh that would be an interesting investigation into what different upbringings and personality traits contribute to naming style. I do already look for family eg. If I ever have a boy, the middle name will be John. I think I need to do some more research into boys names as I never really post in the boys forum and don't look at the boys section of baby name books and part of the problem is motivation to leave the comfort zone of the females.
    [ Ingo Julius ][ Igor John ][ Rory Judd ]
    [ Ottilie ][ Emeline ][ Llio ][ Grace ][ Edie ][ Miriam ]

I don't think it's as much to do with a preference for girls. There's a lot more diversity in the acceptable kinds of girls' names, and I think that makes it more fun to choose. It feels like there's an infinity of possibility with girls' names, whereas with boys...it feels much more taboo to go outlandish. From your names even, Ottilie is totally off the radar, out there, and Saxon is the most daring name from your boys' list. Ottilie is about a million times more adventurous than Saxon, but somehow Saxon almost seems like a more unusual real-life choice. We just don't give boys exciting names very often. That said, I think once you find some boys' names you love, you'll be in love forever. My top girls' names are always in flux, but my boys' number ones are completely fixed, love them to death. Just took some time! (It should be said, in spite of my preference for and much greater assurance with my boys' names, I want girls more than boys. I just don't have an easy time finding ones I love!)
    Last edited by lizgingermitch; July 10th, 2013 at 05:08 PM.