Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
    I was aware it was a Jewish name, but that doesn't mean I would immediately assume a person named Asher was Jewish. Maybe that's because my brothers are Joseph, Matthew and Benjamin; and I'm Catholic : ) I think it's a wonderful name and you should go for it.
    Cricket Casimir Remy Wolfgang Otto Nightingale Fox Peregrine

Sylvie Dandelion Liesl Buttercup Phoebe Sunshine Rosemary Newt

Blanchefleur Innogen Maguelonne Edelweiss Dart Leodegraunce Cosmos

The only Ashers I've ever met have been super WASPs. And honestly, I think you could name your kid Judas nowadays and half the people wouldn't make a connection. Asher's not mainstream enough that you need to worry. Unless you live in an area where people really know their bible? I wouldn't worry.

Asher has also become a very popular name among Christians and others who don't even know its origins. I think few people would automatically think Jewish. Go for it!

Laura & Derek

Adela | Althea | Eleanor | Evangeline
    Gabriel | Julian | Miles

Asher is super popular among conservative Christians I know in the South. By that I mean that I personally know 3-4 boy Ashers under the age of 5, and one GIRL Asher as well.

I think it's one of the Old Testament names that is hipper now among Christian parents...and even non-religious parents, though I think it has a special appeal for people who want Biblical names that sound fresher. I put it in the same category as Josiah, Isaiah, Asa, Ezra, Micah, Zechariah...the same people who would have used Joshua and Caleb 30 yrs ago.

So, no, I think your son wouldn't get tagged as certainly Jewish, but some may guess he's from a conservative Christian background!

Pronunciation might make a difference, though: all the Ashers I know are "ash-er", not the same as the more traditional pronuncation that a PP mentioned.