Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Religious implications for the name Asher?

We are expecting our first child, a boy, in September. We love the name Asher but are concerned it may be a bit too unusual. A more sensitive issue is that Asher has traditionally been mainly a Jewish name - we are Jewish and love that it's an old Jewish name but are also conscious of the stereotypes and discrimination that can come with having an obviously Jewish name. We are proud of our heritage but also don't want to unnecessarily burden our son. As it happens, our last name does not sound Jewish at all, so only the first name could be a giveaway. We have also decided that our second choice, if Asher doesn't work out, is Zachary (still Old Testament, but more common).

We know Asher is rising in popularity among all groups but we're not sure where it is in moving beyond its traditional demographic. We would really appreciate hearing others' views on the name Asher. Do you think of it as a particularly Jewish name? Also, do you think it's unusual enough that it could lead to teasing at school (even without the religious implication)? Your honest responses are much appreciated.
    Last edited by copperchain; July 10th, 2013 at 01:16 AM.

I am not very familiar with Jewish culture and had no idea Asher is a traditional Jewish name. For that reason, I would never think it sounded "too Jewish." (Not that I would care if it did!) Asher is a nice name and with the name Ashton being somewhat trendy, I doubt many people would notice that its Jewish. Personally, I simply see Asher as another Ash- name.

I hope that was helpful! For what it's worth, I hope you can feel comfortable using a Jewish name that you love that also honors your heritage! I think it's great!
    One Beloved Son - Raphael David
    Saved for Later:
    Rosemary, Eve, Lorena, Georgia, Theodora, Fawn
    Ignatius, Lionel, Thaddeus, Laszlo, Casper, Leopold

I'm quite familiar w/Asher and had no idea it was Jewish (granted I'm in the US midwest). I also like Ashford, but haven't heard of anyone using it as a first name yet.

I was aware that the name was Biblical, but I don't necessarily think of it as a Jewish name. Actually, the only little Asher I know has a Baptist pastor as a father, so I think it just strikes me as religious/Biblical but not denominationally specific... if that helps.

Being from a large city with a significant Jewish population, I am familiar with Asher as Jewish name. For me, it feels like a fresher version of Avi. It's becoming more popular and expanding to those of a differing faith. Another parallel would be the name Ari, which also traditionally Jewish, is also being used in a different way such as a short form of Arianna. With it's nickname, Ash you could lessen the doubling down of the Biblical names (Ash Zachary). I feel it's a name that's being gentrified but slowly. Think of it as like Patrick which was traditionally Irish if not Catholic becoming more secular and diverse.
    * 5 easy ways to judge a baby name
    http://nameberry.com/blog/5-easy-way...ge-a-baby-name

* 21 other baby name rules worth following
    http://nameberry.com/blog/no-dumb-na...orth-following