Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Boone for a black lab?

I was talking to my in-laws the other day and mentioned that when my husband and I get a dog we'd like a black lab and that I really liked the name Boone. At which point they told me that I couldn't name my black lab Boone because it's a derogatory term for an African American. Can anybody corroborate this? I have never ever heard this term in my life, but I certainly don't want to be offensive in my pet naming.

If it is offensive, could anyone suggest some other name choices? I like the cowboy-esque feel of the name, and also considered Sawyer for a while. Thank you!

Mama to Quentin Charles, born July 4!

Russell Theodore || ??
    Catherine Violet || Ava Kathleen

Oh, dear. Perhaps I'm terribly naive...I've never heard that name used that way before. My childhood pastor had a massive, 140-lb golden retriever named Boone. I always thought it was sweet. In case someone else corroborates their understanding of the term, what about Bowen? I think it has that same cowboy swagger and Bo/Beau or Bowie is a sweet nickname. You might also use Rebel, Winslow (Win, Winnie), Tucker (Tux), Wyatt, Judd, Barrett (Bear), Monroe (Moe), Flint, or Cole/Coal (since he'd be black).

@ellenelle: Maybe we can just be naive together. Also, I love the suggestion of Tucker!! Although my parents have a cat Tuxedo nn Tux, so I'd probably stick with Tuck for a nickname. It's already growing on me.

Russell Theodore || ??

The only thing I can find online is that it may be used as a slur, as kind of a shortened form of "baboon". Yuck.

Shane is kind of the ultimate cowboy name for me, and has a similar vibe to Boone
    Tara, proud mama to a Honey Badger
    ... and a Badger in Training

@tk.: Thanks for the clarification! I guess I could have googled it too haha, but somehow my first thought was nameberry :P

Russell Theodore || ??