Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggerian View Post
    What's the christian association with Josephine? Joseph?
    It's the feminine form of Joseph, which is the name of Jesus' earthly father. There's also a saint named Josephine (St. Josephine Bakhita).
    ** The opinions expressed above are not meant to be reflective of Nameberry as a whole but are my opinion and mine alone. **

Mommy to:
    Henry Nathaniel (3) and Julia Paige (1)

Current favorites:
    Bennett - Emmett - Felix - Oliver - Owen - Preston - Samuel
    Abigail - Claire - Clara - Hope - Lydia - Maude - Molly

This is hard for me because I adore Josephine and don't think it is too popular at all. But then again, popularity isn't really a big issue to me. Being named Josephine, your daughter might know one or two other girls her age with that name. It isn't like being named Jessica or Jennifer when we were kids, in which case you would meet dozens of other girls with those names. The most popular names now are given to WAY fewer babies than they were in the past.

But this is coming from someone who grew up with a unique name, so I'm probably not the best person to speak about growing up with a popular name.

I do like Judith, but a lot of the other names I can think of (like Abigail, Elizabeth) with Christian meaning are probably also too popular for you. Maybe Eliora, Dorothy, Ariella, Gabriella, Eliana, Michaela, Samara, or Thora?
    Mom to Alexander Patrick (10), Madelyn Esther (7), Genevieve Susan (2), and angel baby Theodore James (stillborn at 37 weeks on February 3, 2014).

Hoping to welcome another little one into our family in 2015.

Girls: Bridget, Elizabeth, Isadora, Felicity, Helena, Marianne, Violet, Penelope, Ophelia, Victoria
    Boys: Sebastian, Everett, Julian, Henry, Caspian, Desmond, Arthur, Nicholas, Anthony, Barnaby

Is Josephine really that popular? Statistics tell me it was the 160th most popular name in 2013 and was given to only 0,1% of baby girls. Unless the name is really common where you live I don't think she'll ever have to share the name with anyone in her class.

A nice compromise would be to put Josephine in the birth certificate and call her by a more unusual / uncommon nickname: Posy, Effie, Phine, Finn, Joss, Sephie, Jonie, Fina, Fifi, Jodie, Joy.

Or pick a more unusual form of the name: Josephina, Josepha, Josette, Josiane, Josefina.
    Bertrand -bertie-, Wilfred, Léon, Axel, Cuthbert -cubby-, Maxentius, Aubrey, Phoebus, John-Henry.
    Émilienne, Livia, Annabella -abbey-, Maud, Rosamund, Kimborough, Clemency, Elizabeth-Charlotte.

Josephine is NOT that popular! She would certainly be unlikely to have another one in her class. It's nowhere near as common as Ashley or Emily where when we were growing up. If you like the name, if the only thing holding you back is the popularity, get over it and use it.

I've got three children and not one of them has ever been in a class with a Josephine. Josephs yes, even a Josie, but never a Josephine.
    Mum to Luke and Elliot, stepmum to Libby. Baby #4 is currently being grown.