Names Searched Right Now:
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    I'm thinking the whole Southern pride being seen as white pride thing? I think where I'm from there'd be a lot of assumptions about the kind of parents that name their kid Dixie - but I'm not Southern. It would be seen at *best* as hillbilly and probably would get a lot of people on the defensive about race stuff. Would be a bit strange on a kid no matter what race they were, too.

Or that is what I was thinking, in terms of offensive, anyway.

Yeah, it's offensive because it's kind of the name that the South went by when it was full of slaves. Dixie was almost a rally cry of the South during Civil War. It's just not the kind of image I'd want associated with my daughter.

I don't find this name offensive, although I do think it is a horrible name anyway. I feel it really lacks character and strength, and the phonetics are not pleasing to the ear.

Good luck!

My friend has a super sweet border collie named Dixie. This info probably does not help your battle.

I don't find it offensive at all but if I heard you discussing "Dixie" I would assume you were referring to your small fluffy dog! I think it's ok as a nickname but I wouldn't want it to be my full name. Hope that's helpful.
    Mum to Tabitha Rachel (Bit), Jemima Lucy (Jem), Leander Edward (Lee) and our angel Frederick Daniel (Freddy) who lit up our lives for a day before passing into a better place.