Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Do you find the name Dixie offensive?

I've read in other forums (yahoo questions) that some people find Dixie to be an offensive name for a child. I love the name but don't want to name my baby something that would potentially offend someone. And with the obvious Freudian elephant in the room of 'Dix' I'm worried this name can't win for losing. What do you guys say?
    Last edited by 2boys2belles; July 9th, 2013 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Spellcheck!

I would say it's an unwise choice. It doesnt offend me, personally, but I can certainly see how it would. Thats not to mention all the stereotypes that people might have about someone named Dixie and the DIX right up front. I'd just avoid all that trouble and choose something else.

Beatrix 'Trixie'?
    Melissa, Mama to Oscar Leopold.

http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9653103

I don't find it offensive personally, but I can see why others might. It's also just not much of a name (it's quite nickname-y). I would second the suggestion of Beatrix nn Trixie. Similar sound, but with a more substantial full name, plus it has none of the problems associated with Dixie.

I don't find it offensive, I just don't like the name. It sounds like ditsy to me.
    Previous account: elrock13

Racial issues, disposable cup issues, "dix," and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yT2Hiw-Z_A this sort of image.

Pass.

Trixie is troubled for me because of a "trick" being a prostitute.

I really know Dolly has image issues too (despite my fangirl-ism for Miss Parton) but I'd go Dolly before Dixie in a minute.