Names Searched Right Now:

Hybrid View

Question Sibling for Gabriel & Zelie

Okay, so we've got about seven weeks until our third little one, a boy, arrives. My husband's originally from Mexico, so we have tried to find names that work well in English and in Spanish with our other two children. Also, we're Catholic and are looking for Saints' names. The little dude's siblings are Gabriel Sebastian and Zelie Jacinta. Any ideas?

We thought we'd decided on Xavier Alonso, but I started having second thoughts because it's just too complicated the way we were going about it: pronounced in Spanish like Javier, but we'd call him Xabi like the Basque nickname (pronounced like "SHA-bi"). Most people would assume that his name would be the English "zavier," and I really don't want to have to explain the whole thing every time. My only real favorite is the name Santiago, but my husband says he's completely neutral about it and doesn't seem to be coming around.

Other names we've talked about but don't seem quite right: Benjamin, Nicolas, Francisco, Ignatius

Thoughts?

There's a really cute Spanish soccer player named Xabi Alonso (Google image search!) so that sounds like an actual name if you go with Xabi. So you want a saint name that spelled the same in English and Spanish? I don't know. Here are my thoughts:

Daniel
    Hugo
    Alejandro
    Pablo
    Alvaro
    Adrian
    David
    Diego
    Mario
    Gerard
    Rodrigo
    Tiago
    Joao
    Tomas
    Calixto
    Pol
    Bardo
    Elias
    Benno
    Bruno
    Clemente
    Felix
    Isaac
    Israel
    Joachim
    Milo
    Leo
    Rocco
    Simeon
    Zeno
    Eddie (to Saffy): Oh, darling, Mummy loves you. On the day you were born I *knew* I wanted you...
    Patsy: However, the day after...

Thanks for these! And yes, we love soccer so we've thought about people assuming that baby will be named after Xabi Alonso instead of saints. hehe Another nn option for Xavier would be the Catalan nn like Xavi Hernandez pronounced "CHA-vi."

Cosme is another name that would work -- Spanish for St. Cosmas, and an old family name -- but I can just imagine people reading it and saying "COS-mee" rather than "COS-may."