Names Searched Right Now:

Mission Impossible

I am starting to wonder if my criteria is too picky. For our third child, and second son, I would like a solid name with some sort of history. One that is familiar and phonetic but preferably out of the top 50 (top 200 would be even better!). Our daughter's name fits all of these beautifully: Josephine Kate. We struggled more with our son but came to love Caleb James. (Both middle names have family meaning.) Now I'm already having mommy guilt because we haven't found a name I'm as happy with! As a creative/aesthetic person I also have an elusive wild veto card I can't help but pull out when something doesn't feel right.

I feel like our name is still out there but here is our list so far. (We have some options for middle name so will cross that bridge when we nail down a first name.) Any new suggestions or fresh insight to the current list would be massively appreciated!

Owen
    Isaac
    Judah/Jude
    Rafferty
    Micah

Additional info: Our surname is very common and one syllable so can handle a long/different name. We are an American/British family living in Britain.

Thanks so much!

Sorry that you are encountering difficulties with naming, I'm sure it'll work itself out eventually, but it's still frustrating for now I am sure.

Owen - I love this name, it is handsome and masculine. It is my favorite name for a boy, however, this name seems pretty popular right now. Maybe too popular for you?
    Isaac - This is a great name, solid and classic with great history. I think this is probably my favorite of your picks with Josephine and Caleb.
    Judah/Jude - I prefer Judah
    Rafferty - This is a great name, handsome and you have the option of nn Rafe!
    Micah - Hmmm... this one is probably my least favorite of the bunch, it's a great name, I just know too many girls named Micah.

Good luck!

I'm curious to know if the Brits have an online source for names that list popularity (by year, decades, specific name frequency) like our American Social Security website does. Anyway, let's get back to your original point. You seem to want to have the elusive underused classic. You could scour the old name lists like the Midcentury, Old Man, and specific periods lists on this site which is most helpful. I'll throw in a few classics that aren't so overused: Francis, Frederick, Martin, Raymond, Vincent, and Walter.
    * 5 easy ways to judge a baby name
    http://nameberry.com/blog/5-easy-way...ge-a-baby-name

* 21 other baby name rules worth following
    http://nameberry.com/blog/no-dumb-na...orth-following