Names Searched Right Now:

Two Sets of Dutch Top 20s: Naming Trends Among Lower and Higher Educated Parents

A popular Dutch TV channel conducted a research into naming trends in neighbourhoods with either high percentages of higher educated parents or lower educated parents and they compiled a Top 20 of names given in the past 6 years by parents belonging to these groups.

Top 20 - Lower Educated Parents:
    Girls:
    Cornelia
    Adriana
    Johanna
    Elif
    Ashley
    Jaylinn
    Nisa
    Kayleigh
    Kaylee
    Azra
    Melissa
    Esmee
    Hailey
    Demi
    Jennifer
    Romy
    Dewi
    Maria
    Esther
    Naomi

Boys:
    Gerrit
    Hendrik
    Marinus
    Muhammed
    Cornelis
    Yusuf
    Jordy
    Mustafa
    Bryan
    Wesley
    Johannes
    Dylano
    Giovanni
    Keano
    Jan
    Bradley
    Joey
    Jayson
    Emir
    Ryan

Top 20 - Higher Educated Parents:
    Girls:
    Juliette
    Josephine
    Cato
    Amélie
    Julie
    Stella
    Mia
    Ella
    Olivia
    Isabelle
    Mette
    Phileine
    Kiki
    Rosa
    Mare
    Livia
    Féline
    Valerie
    Kate
    Louise

Boys:
    Felix
    Oscar
    Julius
    Boris
    Olivier
    Arthur
    Berend
    Jonas
    Victor
    Jules
    Maurits
    Abel
    Hugo
    Casper
    Sebastiaan
    Valentijn
    James
    Florian
    Pepijn
    Floris

What I find interesting is that it shows that the group of higher educated people doesn't seem to be a very diverse group based on the fact that all names are kind of same-ish. If you've ever taken a good look around the average field hockey club house (THE posh sport in the Netherlands) then you will find every single one of these kids and they are all white and mostly 100% Dutch in terms of heritage. What stands out for me in the higher educated girls list is the choice for certain spellings, Feline and Amelie are more popular without the diacritics, but they all seem to insist on using that diacritic anyway. Also, I believe the Isabel spelling is more popular than Isabelle. Furthermore, James is the only English name on the boys list.

Whereas, if you examine the top choices for lower educated people you would probably think it is kind of all over the place with really really really traditional choices as well as more 'modern' (*cough* let's stick to the 90s *cough*) English inspired choices as well as names typically chosen by immigrants. I think this illustrates that lower educated people are far more diverse.

Since in the Netherlands, as especially will hold true for this new generation of parents, also children from unprivileged backgrounds will usually be able to go to university and pursue higher education, I wonder if this study suggests a kind of assimilation of tastes the moment someone starts belonging to the group of higher educated people.. a lot of mothers who belong the group of higher educated people may be called Romy or Melissa themselves.
    Last edited by honnepon; April 9th, 2015 at 05:43 PM.
    ★ London-bound Euroberry ★ 21 ★ Law student ★

Laszlo Evander Cadmus Raphaël Rhodri Yves Ezra Willem Livius James Rhys Joaquim Arlen Gabriel Odin Leander Alec Matteo Griffin Julius

Nuala Evadne Freya Madelief Thalia Isobel Junia Odile Willa Isolde Posy Juliette Athena Margot Gaia Yvaine Fenna Magali Elowen Chloé

Very interesting indeed, and your closing statement, where the girls whose parents have lower levels of educated may in fact be highly educated themselves, is some serious food for thought. I'd be interested to see what they would choose for their own kids.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Lucia
    Name aficionada, traveller, teacher, wonderfully enamoured
    Sela Beatrix, Adelaide Flora, Vivian Lilac, Orchid Minerva, Audrey Cordelia
    Opal, Zinnia, Sefora, Leire, Nuria, Freya

Bastian Liher, Gideon Felix, Fletcher Atlas, Ephraim Grey, Joscelin Amos
    Eneko, Ekhi, Bruno, Oriol, Earnest, Ivor